Skip to main content

I’d like to create a custom timeline board in Lucidspark, with lanes. However, when adding a timeline element to a board, I can’t see how I can add lanes to it.

There are templates with lanes, but I can’t find how I can add new lanes or even change the name of the lane on the left side. I have searched the documentation but couldn’t find any answer.

Could someone please point me to the right direction?

Hi @mrgou 

Can you please explore the below help article to reach your goal.

Work with Timelines in Lucidspark – Lucid

Hope this helps - Happy to help further!!
Thank you very much and have a great one!
Warm regards

I did see this, but it does not explain how to add lanes. When adding a new timeline from the primary toolbar, the new timeline does not include lanes, contrary to what the article shows.

Hi @mrgou 

Although Lucidspark lacks a dedicated 'add lane' feature, you can create custom lanes in a timeline by using shapes, lines, or text boxes.

To modify existing lane labels in a template, simply select and edit the text. This workaround allows you to simulate lanes and tailor your timeline to your needs.

Best Regards

Hi @mrgou, thank you for posting in the community and @Humas1985 for helping here!

It sounds like you are trying to add different rows to your timeline like the ‘Done’ ‘In progress’ and ‘To Do’ sections shown in the screenshot below, is this correct?

It is not possible to directly edit the left columns as this is determined based on the information addd to the cards on the Timeline. Rows can be added based on the Status, Assignee or Estimate fields in a card. 

Using the ‘Status’ field as an example, in my GIF below, the rows ‘Done’, ‘In Progress’ and ‘To Do’ exist because I have cards on the timeline with those statuses. I also made sure to select ‘Status’ to be displayed for the y-axis of my timeline. 

I also recommend taking a look at this community post for a demonstration of this feature. 

I hope this helps! Please feel free to let me know if this is not what you’re looking for, or if you have any questions. 

Hi Leianne, thanks for these details! I now understand how the lanes that appear in the templates work and why they can’t be renamed. The bit I was missing is that a lane appears by adding a card assigned to the group that is selected. I even found that removing all cards does not remove the name!

Since the “Assignee” field is the only free-text field that can be selected for grouping, I could trick the timeline into what I wanted by filling the Assignee field of the cards I added. Then, lanes persist even after deleting the card!

Thank you for the update, @mrgou! Glad to hear that was helpful 😄 The “Assignee” field is great if you have any custom fields that you’d like to use for grouping. 

Feel free to let us know if you have any additional questions about this feature - we’re happy to help!