Skip to main content

hi is it possible to add extra connection points to shaped i imported?

it seems like lucidchart wants the line to connect outside the shape which makes the diagrams look ugly , instead of line connecting directly to shape

i know in visio if. i hold ALT button it lets me move the line anywhere kinda like “floating” and it doesnt stick. is there something similar in lucidchart for MAC

Hey @yianni -- thanks for posting! If you navigate to File > Document Settings, you can turn off snap to objects. This should give you a more free floating ability for the connection of your line. 

Hope this helps -- if not, feel free to send me a screenshot of what you are seeing on your end and I’d be happy to take a closer look.

hello if you look here the connection points for these shapes are nowhere near the shape itself, and there’s a huge gap. is it possible to change these?

also i turned off snap to objects and the lines are still snapping. under document settings not page settings as. i didnt see that

@yianni aha, I see! Thank you for the screenshot, that is very helpful. I would recommend going into Document Settings > Lines > Line Connections and disable those if you’d like to freely move the line to the top of the shape. Unfortunately, moving the connections is not a possibility, however, we are always looking to make improvements; would you mind to post this suggestion in our Product Feedback  channel for our devs to consider? 

Thank you so much for your thoughts -- please let us know if you have any other questions! 

@yianni aha, I see! Thank you for the screenshot, that is very helpful. I would recommend going into Document Settings > Lines > Line Connections and disable those if you’d like to freely move the line to the top of the shape. Unfortunately, move the connections is not a possibility, however, we are always looking to make improvements; would you mind to post this suggestion in our Product Feedback  channel for our devs to consider? 

Thank you so much for your thoughts -- please let us know if you have any other questions! 

couple issues with removing line connections. 

1. this may be user error, but when i disable them i cannot create a ling between two shapes
  1. when i move a shape the line needs to be redone

ive seen somewhere where you can edit shape connections but that seems to only be for basic shapes. not actual images like network icons

Hey @yianni -- yes, this would be true. After removing line connections, all lines would now need to be manually moved onto the canvas from the shape menu and then manipulated after the fact if the shapes are moved. Unfortunately, moving the line connection position is not possible. For the shape library you’re using (it looks like the Cisco library), the connection points are set. As you can see, connections can be made directly on the sides of that shape, however, not on the top or bottom. 

Nevertheless, we would absolutely love to get this feedback in the aforementioned Product Feedback channel as this is the absolute best way to get these ideas in front of our Dev Team for their consideration. 

Thanks again for these amazing ideas!

Hi @yianni, just jumping in as a follow-up to Phillip’s message - you can share further feedback and upvote this request here: