Solved

Create document contents via Rest API in Lucidchart

• 10 February 2023
  • 12 replies

We are trying to create chart using API but we see only GetContents API only. Is there any POST API where we can create chart contents using the API.

icon

Best answer by Richard U 7 March 2023, 00:20

View original

Comments

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi M V! Unfortunately at this time we do not offer a POST API to create Lucidchart contents. We do have an API that will allow you to copy/duplicate an existing chart but we do not currently offer a method to create new document content via REST API. 

Would you mind explaining to me your use case? What are you trying to accomplish?

Badge +1

+1 for this as well.  We would love to be able to build dynamic documentation from Airtable as a data source.  Rack and Network Diagrams Flow Charts and Gantt Charts would be some of our main uses.

We are looking to create Architectural diagram for the ServiceNow application automatically.

Also is there any documentation on all available technical names list of shapes and lines for the data received in  GET API

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks for the feedback Howard and M V.

M V - We do have documentation here describing the response of the Document Contents endpoint. Lucidchart doesn't have different classes of lines (instead lines are differentiated by their style and endpoint which is information returned by the endpoint). We don't have a list of all the possible "class" values a shape can have. However a general rule of thumb is that a shape's class can be determined by finding the descriptor for the shape in Lucidchart and adding "Block" (the class of the shape below is "ProcessBlock").

Probably as workaround we can create a csv file as described below and upload it to Lucid via API: Process Diagram Import from CSV – Lucidchart (zendesk.com)   

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Igor thank you for contributing to the Lucid Community! Unfortunately Process Diagram Import from CSV is not currently supported with Lucid's APIs.

However we're always looking for ways to improve our public APIs and your feedback is the best way for us to do that. Would you mind adding your idea to our Product Feedback section? Ideas submitted to this section are passed on to the product development team for their consideration.

Thanks for your request and I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.

Hi Rishard it seems like the idea is formulated by the question on top "How can we create document contents via Rest API"? I found this blog how to create a process from csv file assuming that a publisher tested it before posting for public and use one of Lucid APIs (like https://data.lucid.app/adapter/csv) to upload this file. I am not sure if it works because I don't have access for APIs yet. So it is not proved if it works or not.          

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi @igor y thank you for your response and for your patience with our reply. Data imported with the Create Data Source from CSV endpoint can be accessed within the Lucidchart editor via data-linking org charts or smart containers. Unfortunately the CSV import can not be applied to the Process Diagram import this must be done manually. 

However we're always looking for ways to improve our public APIs and your feedback is the best way for us to do that. Would you mind adding your idea to our Product Feedback section? Ideas submitted to this section are passed on to the product development team for their consideration.

If you or your team are interested in developing a custom function with the Lucidchart editor our APIs are crafted to be both robust and adaptable allowing for seamless integration and enhancement of our platform's capabilities. To get started check out Lucid.co/developers and our Developer Docs' Guides section. For additional API support please search or post here in the Lucid for Developers Community forum. It’s important to note that our APIs are only available to Team and Enterprise accounts.

Hi Richard - I was also like to be able to do this.  I have a process which reads content in from a data lake normalizes it exports it to a CSV format tha LucidChart recognizes.  The last step is currently manual (using the import feature in the UI) we would like to generate the diagram by calling an endpoint (passing the csv file).

-Ed

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Edward 

Thank you for your question! A member of our engineering team will reach out to you directly to discuss this solution.

I do sincerely appreciate that.  I'm happy to write up and share the solution that is implemented

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Just an FYI for those who're interested: we are currently building this endpoint!

You're welcome to leave feedback on our design or follow updates on this thread.