Skip to main content

I can’t figure out how to add a direct report to my chart without it changing from a vertical view to a horizontal view. (I’m sure I’m using the wrong language - I am completely new to Lucid Chart.)

I want to add a direct report to the person listed as Staff 2 below. Every time I try to add someone, it populates the supervisor as the SUPERVISOR vs Staff 2. I changed it in the drop down menu but then it edits the org chart from being in a vertical line to a horizontal line. 

How can I add it and have it remain as a vertical line?

Thank you!

Hi @jedwa2 

To add a direct report while keeping the organization chart in a vertical line, try following these steps:

1. Select "Staff 2" - Click on the "Staff 2" box in your chart, where you want to add a direct report.

2. Add a Direct Report - Use the "Add shape" feature to add a direct report. You can either:

• Click the plus sign on the bottom of the "Staff 2" box.
    • Or, right-click on the "Staff 2" box, then select "Add shape below".
  3. Maintain Vertical Alignment - When adding the new shape, make sure you’re choosing the option that places it below the selected shape, rather than to the side. This ensures the vertical alignment of your org chart remains intact.

4. Adjust Layout - If the chart still shifts to a horizontal format, you can manually drag the new report to the correct vertical position. You can also adjust the line connectors in the Arrange tab to ensure the layout stays as vertical.

This should allow you to add the direct report without changing the overall vertical structure.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your quick response. 

The problem I am having is that I don’t have the option to Add shape below” to add a direct report. I selected the plus sign below the selected shape for Staff 2 but it edits the supervisor to be the SUPERVISOR instead of Staff 2. I can’t edit it without it automatically setting the view to horizontal.

Regardless of the plus sign I select, it automatically resets it to horizontal. I also don’t have the Arrange tab as it is greyed out.

Thank you!

Hi @jedwa2

To clarify, would you like the staff members to lay horizontal? To do this, select the outline around the entire Org Chart. This will open up the contextual panel on the right side of your document. Select Layout style, and this will provide you with three different layout styles. Hope this helps!