Skip to main content

My client has designed a project using Lucidchart diagram to open links.
Previously there was an "Open in a new window" checkbox in the Web link action.
You could untick this to make links open in the same tab. 
We used it lots.
It is still shown in the Zendesk help article about Links and Hotspots.
https://lucidchart.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001259626-Links-and-Hotspots

But it's disappeared from the actual product now - which means every link can ONLY open in a new tab - which completely breaks my client's whole user experience plus our previous existing projects and any other use case like this.
Have you taken this away or is this a bug or an account-level-specific feature? 
If you've taken it away WHY?
It's such a basic HTML link feature - target="_blank" or target="_self" that surely there's no reason to remove this - please can you put it back asap?

Hi Ru 

Thanks for posting in the Lucidchart Community! 

Unfortunately the "Open in a new window" option is only available when linking your shapes to another Lucidchart document. I'm sorry for the frustration caused by removing this option when linking your shapes to a Web page or Email. 

While this option is no longer available we are continuously looking for how to make our product more useful and effective for our users and your feedback is the best way for us to do that. Would you mind sharing your use case through our  feature request form? Feedback submitted to this form is passed on to the product development team for their consideration.

As for our Add Actions to a diagram Help Center article it does state that users can Convert to Link Preview when adding a web link to a shape. However I was unable to locate any mention regarding the "Open in a new window" option being still available when linking to web pages. Would you mind sending a screenshot of the excerpt from the article where you found this information so we can make sure to remove it? 

Thanks for your request and I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.

This is a very frustrating change. If I didn't have so much work done in LucidChart already I'd consider moving to another platform. I am a business consultant and have always gotten clients interested in using LucidChart and buying the product in the past because they see the value of flowcharting their business processes. However I've stopped guiding them to LucidChart after this change because it makes for a very awkward navigation when you have to click in one spot then click a link in another area in the flowchart. I'd urge LucidChart to just provide the option on each chart or license-wide to make external links "direct" or preview the link URL. I've directed over 20 clients to buy LucidChart in the past 12 months but that won't continue until this is resolved. I know that's a drop in the bucket but I have other options for them that will link directly. I'd much rather have the feature back and start supporting LucidChart but I need LucidChart to support me first by providing the option. I know from a technical standpoint it's possible because it used to work and you've made this other UI/UX work. So it is just a matter of creating a setting now that is controlled by the license holder.

Hi @jon v thank you for continuing this thread and sharing that feedback. I'm sorry to hear that the change described is not useful for your use-case.

Our development team continuously works to make changes to the product to improve the UX and we're always looking for ways to improve Lucidchart. Would you mind adding your idea(s) to our feature request form? Ideas submitted to this form are passed on to the product development team for their consideration.

Thanks for your request and I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.