Skip to main content
Solved

Were have all the articles about shapes gone?

*** Can’t edit the typo in the question - Where not Were***
There are many posts with replies from Lucid staff with links to articles that no longer exist, 404.
What is the current articles on how to make your own shapes?
https://help.lucid.co/hc/en-us/articles/207299896-Lucidchart-Basics-Work-with-Shapes-on-the-Canvas
https://help.lucid.co/hc/en-us/articles/207300256-Lucidchart-Basics-Access-Organize-and-Share-Shapes#collapseTwo

https://help.lucid.co/hc/en-us/articles/16390096079764-Add-and-customize-shapes-in-Lucidchart#create-custom-shapes-in-lucidchart

This article should have what you’re looking for. I’ve linked it to the custom shapes specifically, let me know if that’s what you’re looking for 🙂.

I want to take and existing shape from a template of shapes and modify it so I don’t have to edit it from scratch. I am after the networking shapes, they show very few ports and I want to make them showing the correct number of ports more typically found in professional equipment. 24 ports for the switch and 8 ports for the router.

0_0?a=1802&x=-674&y=-283&w=250&h=142&store=1&accept=image%2F*&auth=LCA%204936bb2e0af02b0c04cdc636b2901795d70ed2a9852531ceb2987781cc0a6f2e-ts%3D17228997770_0?a=1802&x=-656&y=-550&w=237&h=222&store=1&accept=image%2F*&auth=LCA%20e85b7e5000cd85b4e53e11f8264ca9fd2dd61cffd79c5f76c4b2cf3a7d3f4692-ts%3D1722899777

Based on your link I have to re-invent the wheel from scratch….

https://help.lucid.co/hc/en-us/articles/14931750819476-Shape-libraries-in-Lucidchart

I see, I am not sure whether we can edit an existing template of shapes at the moment, so someone else may be free to help with their feedback here.

But my suggestion would be to do this:

1. Import the networking library you like
  2. Drag all of the shapes on the board
  3. Right click each one of them and add them to your new custom library
  4. Add the ones you modified to the new library

That way you are able to “half re-invent” the wheel. And you would have full control over a shape library as it would become your own.

Hope I was able to help with this solution. :) 

Step 4 - how did I modify them?

I don’t think there is a way to modify them once they are imported that way, because the shapes are already in a library and imported. I THINK that you have to modify them either externally, or try to reproduce them using similar shapes. For example if you are trying to add more ports, you might have to either export it as SVG (scalable image) or any other format you prefer to work with, and work on an external software, then import again. Or you try to copy and paste with those shapes inside Lucidchart, even though that might be trickier but definitely doable.

I wanted to make sure “I think” is bold because, while I do work for Lucid - My area of expertise is not shapes, so I am just trying to help and giving my own personal help with this, as I understand it might be frustrating.

Can you let me know what kind of experience you were thinking of achieving when editing shapes? In a previous post it looks like you tried to upload an image but I don’t see it.

I was hoping there was a way to transform a shape into a set of lines and fills and other basic elements that I could then edit. Then “flatten” the lines and fills into a shape that is “locked” as one image after I am done editing. This question has been asked before but the answers have dead links in them.

I see the other thread, and tried finding up to date information on this to give the best answer. I do think the bottom line is that you do have to edit the shapes, but not entirely from scratch. Like i said, you can export and use some svg editors or other tools of your choice to edit the shapes, then import then back in and save. 

For example, i was able to quickly edit this. I definitely understand that clicking on some input an ​​d writing “8” ports or 24 would be a lot more simple than doing it this way, but this is what I would do if I needed a custom shape. I do not know right now if this is a feature that is planned for the future. I will try to find out for you but I hope my solution will somehow work for you. 

Yeah I am not proficient in any svg editor. I was hoping I could get it done in this tool but I guess not. Building from scratch here or learning a SVG program, who knows which is more work. I wouldn't find out unless I tried them both. I don't want to make a career out of learning SVG programs or even this program. I just want to document a network to communicate to others but it's just going to look silly I guess unless I invest the time to learn an SVG program or make symbols from scratch. 

What a stupid website. I asked the question yet somebody else marks the answer the best answer. I don't think it's the best answer. This is stupid. 

Hi @mcastrigno

Sorry for the frustration here! After a period of inactivity, if a user has not marked the best answer, our moderation team will do so in oder to help other users who come across this post find the most useful information. 

We’re eager to continue helping you though. The best next step I would recommend for you is to post this idea in our Product Feedback section. If you would like for Lucidchart to have in-product SVG editor,  create an idea post and be sure to include details about your use case or what you’d like to see in this experience. This will also allow other users with similar requests to discover and upvote it, then add details of their own.

Finally, for more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post: