Skip to main content

Feel like there must be a way but I can't figure out how: 

Creating a map of each of our campuses' printers.

Would like to publish the map so that when clicked each object's row of data displays... But only when the object gets clicked on. 

I guess the display could be in something like the "Selected Shape Data" sidebar or just a temporary/hovering window.

Any way to do this?  

Hi Russell 

Thanks for posting in the community! I recommend using a combination of Layers and Hotspots to accomplish this by taking the following steps:

1. Create a separate layer for each printer.

2. Add and style the relevent information that you would like to display within each layer. 

3. Create a hotspot for each printer shape being sure to set it so that it will display the layer with the corresponding information and hide all the others. In the example below in my two layer document I've set the button saying "Show Layer 1" to show layer 1 and hide layer 2. 

4. Publish your document

Feel free to use the linked Layers Hotspots and Publishing articles as additional resources and post any additional questions below!

So about step 2 in your method:

Is there a way to have the selected shape data display the way it does in the sidebar after I publish?

That's really all I'm after... maybe in a pop up panel?

Hi Russell 

Thanks for getting back to me. While it's not possible to link directly to that panel shown in your screenshot I think we can combine our methods! If you like style and formatting of the information under "Selected Shape Data" you could simply take a screenshot add this image to your layer and create your "popup" that way. I've demonstrated this with the screenshot you've provided in the GIF below:

Let me know if you have additional questions!

Still seems weird not to be able to view an object's data automatically instead of having to crowbar it in with a screenshot.

Wouldn't that be the point of linking to data?  

Thanks anyway.

Back to your initial point of hot-spotting.

I want my info text block's layer to be hidden by default? What about the Toggle dropdown value?

Hi Russell 

It is certainly possible to view an object's data automatically! While I suggested the screenshot because you mentioned you liked how it was organized you can easily attach your linked data to a shape of your choosing (even the printer itself if you desire)! Please review the steps in the "Display Data on Document Components" section of the Data Linking help center article for step by step instructions on how to do this. In the example below I've assigned the linked data to a simple square shape that will pop up when I click on the printer. The toggle function may be another great option for your diagram; this will repeatedly show and hide the corresponding layer (or layers) as a user continues to click on them. You may find this useful to hide the printer's information once you are done viewing it. I've demonstrated in the GIF as well.