Skip to main content

I have a series of groups of objects. Each group needs data from a different row in my data linking. 

I have:

- Selected a group of objects

- Ctrl + G to make an object group

- Double click on the object to enter object edit mode

- Dragged my row into Selected Group Data

Now I cannot figure out how to use the data in my individual objects within the group. If I click on a specific object withing the group it shows no data I cannot figure out how to refrence the data I added to the group. 

I did find this post which seems to be asking a similar question but the given solution did not work for me. I only see the +T when I add data to the individual objects.

How can I use Selected Group Data withing the individual objects of a group I have made?

Hi Chris

Thanks for reaching out to Lucid support. Data can be associated with a whole group of objects but it is only be possible to display the data (using the +T option) when it is applied to one specific object. If the data is added to the group (when you are not in Group Edit Mode) then it will apply to the group as a whole and will not be displayable. If the data is added to a specific object (when you are in Group Edit Mode) then it will just be applied to the one shape within the group and will be able to be displayed on that shape.

If you are interested in advocating the ability to display data on groups of objects please add your idea and your use case for it to our product feedback section.

Thank you!

Hi Chris & Abby.

I had the exact same scenario and eventually figured it out.

Create a few text boxes and lines boxes etc.  Then group them and create a shape (as per the Lucid docs)
Now if you link a data row to the shape (the group) the individual text fields won't have 'direct' access to the individual columns of the data row. 
To get it working double click on your shape (group) and edit the individual text boxes in the shape.
Instead of you text simply add this formula {{=PARENT."Name"}} into the text objects.
For the above the text will be replaced by the data from column "Name" that is linked to the group (your shape).

For conditional formatting parts of your shape you can do something similar by using the formula: CONTAINS(PARENT."Property 1" "Value") to conditional format the part and apply the formula to that part.

Now you only need to link the data to your shape (group) and not every object inside your shape (group).

Hope this helps - it was frustrating me too but got it working :)

Hi Jacques

Thanks a lot for sharing this workaround with us and the Community!

This is very valuable and we really appreciate that you took the time to share! 

Hi! I’m Micah from Lucid’s community team. 👋 Jumping in here to share about Lucid’s Data Trusted User Group. This group is made up of knowledgeable users who regularly analyze and visualize data in their work. As part of this group, you’ll have the opportunity to connect directly with Lucid’s product team, gain early access to beta features, and share insights about your needs, shaping the future of Lucid’s data solutions 🎉 You can learn more and request to join here. Thanks!