Skip to main content

I have tried multiple times to link an org chart shape to another document in the same Lucidchart folder but it doesn't save the linkage. I’m able to link URLs, but nothing happens when I attempt to link a lucidchart document. 

Hi @travis.moore

Thanks for your post! 

To verify, you have followed the steps to link your org chart shape to another Lucidchart document but the link won’t trigger when using the hotkey reference to open it? Would you mind double-checking you have taken all of the steps below?

To link your shape to another Lucidchart document:

1. Click the link icon in the Formatting bar.
  2. Select Document.
  3. Click Browse Documents.
  4. Select a document from your documents page in the pop-up modal.
  5. Click the thumbnail of the document you want to link to and use the arrows to toggle to a specific page.
  6. Click Select.

To trigger the link to open:

Please use the hotkey reference you see when you hover your cursor over the shape the document is linked to. 

• On Mac, this is Shift + Command + Click.
  • On PC, this is Shift + Ctrl + Click. 

To learn more about this functionality, please review our Add an Action or link to a shape in Lucidchart article from the Lucid Help Center. If the issue persists, please post the following information:

• A screenshot of the issue.
  • A screenshot of the associated Javascript Console output after reproducing the issue. You can open your Javascript Console by pressing Ctrl+Shift+J (if your computer is a Windows/Linux) OR Cmd+Opt+J (if your computer is a Mac).

Thanks! 

Yes, I’ve followed the steps you listed and just retried and it’s still not doing anything. My screen doesn’t look like yours, though:

When I click ‘Browse Documents’ and select the document and click ‘Select’, the Select Document pop-up window closes. Then Shift+Ctrl+Click on the shape doesn’t do anything.

Hi @travis.moore

Thanks for providing this additional context! The issue you're seeing is likely caused by browser or network security intereference. Could you try the steps below to help us confirm this indeed the case? 

• Try linking the document in a private or incognito window. If you need help with opening an incognito window, please check out this community post:  
  • If you’re using a VPN, disconnect from it and then try linking the document once more. 
  • Connect to a different network (if possible, a mobile hotspot) and attempt the linking process again. 

If the issue persists after taking those steps, please post a screenshot of the associated Javascript Console output right after attempting to link the document. You can open your Javascript Console by pressing Ctrl+Shift+J (if your computer is a Windows/Linux) OR Cmd+Opt+J (if your computer is a Mac). 

Thanks! 🙌

None of those steps worked. Here’s the screenshot. It’s clear that something is failing. I have edit permission on the document I’m attempting to link.

Hi @travis.moore

Thanks for trying those steps, and I’m sorry for the continued trouble!

I’d like to take a closer look at this, which will involve taking a look at your document. I’ll convert your post into a support ticket so we can keep troubleshooting one to one. Please keep an eye out for an email from Lucid Support 🙂