Skip to main content

I am trying to link several workflow documents together, but the connection cannot be made.  I am guessing that there may be some functionality attached to subscription levels but there is no indication that this is the case.  I have tried layering but this is problematic for workflows that are still developing or evolving.

Any insight would be great.

Hey @darby0707 -- would you mind clarifying the steps you are taking to link to your documents? You should see the toolbar that looks like this: 

You’ll click the shape you wish to link to your document, click the link-to button at the top, then select document, browse documents. This will allow you to link a shape to a different Lucid document. 

Hope this helps!

Phillip,

I guess to clarify, I am trying to link a process box on one document ot open up the associated sub-process on an separate document.  I am doing the following.

1. click on the initial process
  2. click the 3 dots More button to get to the link to button.
  3. select document
  4. select Browse Documents
  5. select the document that I wish to link to
  6. click select
  7. it takes me back to the original document with no visible link or change.

Maybe I’m just missing something.

Hey @darby0707 -- sounds like you’ll want to follow the process I’ve outlined in my previous message. If you click the process box you wish to assign this link to, click the link-to button (as shown in my previous message), then select browse documents, you can select which document you’d like to have open when clicking on this process box. To clarify further -- this is done within the Lucidchart editor, not on the home screen, so getting to the link-to button does not require clicking the 3 dot menu. 

Hope this helps!

On the document page - not sure if this is what you mean my the editor page.  Seems that my toolbar is just different.

After clicking Browse Documents.

After clicking select.

Not sure what I am doing different from your steps.  Seems to be the same to me.

Hey @darby0707 -- looks like you’ve got it! Now the shape that you’ve connected to can be clicked (using Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + left click) and it should open the linked document. 

Let me know if this is NOT the experience you have!

I’m glad that I seem to be doing it correctly but there is no link generated.  I hold shift+ctrl+left click and nothing happens.  I’ve tried every combination of holding and clicking.  If I layer something and set it to toggle and then hold Shift+ctrl the layered process boxes will turn color (green I think). Here nothing is happening.

Hey @darby0707 -- thank you for the reply! So, taking a look at the screenshots, if you fully expand your window so that the 3 dot menu is gone and you can see the link to button, this action should work as expected. Our devs are aware of this issue and are working to correct it, however, at this time, it’s still best to use the workaround I’ve provided. 

Hope this helps!

My window is fully expanded and that is all that it shows.  Is there a way to manipulate the toolbar to show the usable buttons?   FYI the link function does not work when using the INSERT dropdown either.  I have tried that way as well.

Hey @darby0707 -- thanks so much for the reply, and sorry for the back and forth here! So, if you wouldn’t mind to try clicking the shape, right click, and navigate to add link from there, this seems to work on my end when the page is collapsed and should be a good workaround. 

If this still does not work on your end would you mind trying to pin the toolbar by clicking the thumbtack. It will look like this: 

This will most likely pull up 2 separate pinned boxes (which is part of the buggy behavior here) and you’ll want to work with the box on the left. Click through like normal, document → browse → select and let me know if that does the trick. 🤔

The drop down to the “Add Link”, does not work.  However, pinning the box and choosing the left one WORKED!!!!!

Phillip you are awesome.  Thanks for sticking this one out with me.  It is going to significantly make my job a lot easier and my customers product better.

Thank you.

No problem at all @darby0707 -- thank YOU for sticking it out with ME! This is definitely not expected behavior for this feature and I do apologize for this “janky” workaround, but I’m so glad to hear this is working for you. Please reach out anytime with questions!