Skip to main content

UML Shape

I just purchased a subscription to Lucid Chart for the express purpose of creating a UML/ERD  for a database design.The shapes I want have a box with divisions for entity name in the first division with attributes listed in the second division.

Supposedly Lucid Chart can do that but I'm finding a disconnect in the documentation. For example this page https://www.lucidchart.com/pages/what-is-UML-unified-modeling-language tells me all about UML. I don't need to know about it I need to find the correct shapes. The page shows the correct type of diagram but the LucidChart software only seems to have rectangles for entities and ovals for attributes. 

I have gone through several searches and not been able to find information on where the correct shapes can be found.

Hi Nora 

Thanks for posting in the community and I am sorry for the confusion! I recommend checking out our UML Sequence Markup article in our help center for information on how to access the UML shape library and create sequence diagrams. 

In short you can access UML shapes by clicking on the "Shapes" gear icon in the upper-left corner of your screen.
 A window will pop up with a list of accessible shape libraries. Check the box next to "UML" and click save. You will then have access to UML shapes in the shape manager on the left side of your screen. 

The specific shape you are looking for can be found in the first drop-down section of this manager under the tab titled "UML Class Dgm".

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

I see now that what I really wanted was the Entity Relationship shape group.

Hey Nora I'm happy we were able to help you out! Luckily the UML and Entity Relationship shapes are categorized right near each other for easy access :)