Skip to main content

Per the documentation (https://lucidchart.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/208029986) the following markup:

note over Bob Alice: This is an example of a

long note

with a line break. End note

Should result in: "Add a note shape with multiple-lined notes displayed over Alice and Bob." but it does not. It causes a syntax error:

Also it appears that there is more markup syntax that is not documented from my experiments trying to make multi-line notes work. But the immediate problem is that the current documentation is incorrect for multi-line notes.

Hi Dan

Thanks for posting on the community! In order for the markup to be read correctly it cannot be split between lines

Alice -> Bob
Alice <-- Bob
Alice -> Bob: text
note right of Alice: note
note over Bob Alice: This is an example of a long note
with a line break

If you hit ENTER and add a new line in the markup it is read as a separate symbol into the markup. 

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Ahh so it is a formatting problem in the documentation at https://lucidchart.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/208029986 (because the example is formatted as a table). Could you please clarify the documentation? I also think that you should remove the "End note" text from the example. I was reading it as a closing token for the parser (since the note appeared to span multiple lines in the markup).

This is what I am referring to:

BTW - Thanks for the quick reply @kent b101! Much appreciated and just a quick thank you to the team for an excellent product. I was a huge Visio fan until Microsoft bought it and derailed it. Grrr! But your web implementation is fantastic and a great replacement.

Hi Dan 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I've gone ahead and corrected this in our documentation by removing the extra spacing in between the lines adding a note that the text needs to all be in a single line in the markup and removing the "end note" text. Take a look! Please let me know if there is anything else I can clarify or if you have additional questions.