Skip to main content

I am using Smart Containers to build a yearly plan.  I have created sections for each quarter Q1, Q2 etc. Each Quarter contains the tasks for the Quarter and my view it for the entire year. I have a field called Story Points within each task .I would like to create a formula for the total points per Quarter.  I have tried =sum(descendants) but returns 0 .  I created the same formula at the Container level and it works. It sums for the entire board.  How can get a subtotal on each Quarterly section ?

Any help apricated.

Hi @kmikkels, thanks for posting in the community! That is a great question, you should be able to do

this by adding a new custom data field to each of your ‘quarter’ containers and add the following formula to that field:

=SUM(CONTENTS."Story Points")

This should create a SUM of the ‘Story Points’ of each task, and you can display this in your container by clicking the ‘T+’ icon next to the field. I’ve also attached GIF demonstrating something similar:

In this example, I tried to calculate the SUM of the ‘Total Items’ field added to each task using the formula listed above and display it in the container level:  

This community post is also a good reference for how to achieve this:

I hope this helps! Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions :) 

Hi @kmikkels! Abby here from Lucid. I thought you, and others who might come across this topic in the future, might be interested in Lucid’s Agile Trusted User Group. This group is made up of passionate, experienced users who regularly use agile methodologies in their work. As part of this group, you’ll have the opportunity to connect directly with Lucid’s product team and share insights about your workflows, pain points, and needs, shaping the future of Lucid’s agile tools. 🎉 You can learn more and apply here. Thanks!