Skip to main content

Is there any way to have objects snap only to objects in the active group or layer?

I'm frequently moving objects "out of the way" so that the objects I'm working with don't snap to something in another layer or group sometimes halfway across the document.

Hi Clint

Thanks for posting your question!

Try toggling off the visibility of layers. This will help you align and snap objects to only the layer you are working on.

To learn more check out our articles Organize and Arrange Objects and Page and Document Settings.

If you have any recommendations on how we can improve this feature or if there is separate functionality you'd like to see implemented here's the form to let our Product Engineers know.

Let us know if you have anymore questions about snapping and layered objects and we're happy to help!

A related question: Can I set line snap in one layer and no snap on another. 

Example use case: Diagram in one layer needs line snapping but labels and arrows on the diagram can be on another layer and must not snap to each other within the same layer.

Hi Sanjay thanks for continuing this post! Unfortunately page settings will apply to the page you are working on so it's not possible to have different settings for different layers. However I can certainly see how that option would be useful if there are many layers in a document! Would you mind adding your idea to our feature request form? Ideas submitted to this form are passed on to the product development team for their consideration.

As a workaround it's possible to change the page settings as you edit your document. I would recommend switching snap to grid / guide off when working on a layer where you don't want it enabled and turning it back on when you move to another layer. 

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions about this hope this helps!