Skip to main content
I’m a university professor using LucidCharts in an online class. I want students to be able to go to one URL’d chart but also be able to independently edit the chart and work on their own. Can my LucidChart do this?

Hi Mike thanks for posting in the community! Yes this is possible in Lucidchart. First for anyone to be able to edit a Lucidchart document they must have a Lucidchart account. Your students can sign up for a free account here or learn more about our educational upgrade here. Then once your students have accounts you can create a shareable link to your document according to the instructions in this Collaborate and Share article. This way all students can access the document through the same link and you don't have to worry about sharing it with individual students. If you give them editing permission they will be able to edit your original document collaboratively each adding their own contributions to the same document. Alternatively you could instruct your students to access your document then use it as a template from which they can create a copy which they will own individually and edit as theirs alone.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you have any additional questions!

You wrote...“Alternatively you could instruct your students to access your document then use it as a template from which they can create a copy which they will own individually and edit as theirs alone.“

Yes. This is what I want. Can you tell me more about this. Also I’m under the impression that ideally all students have a LucidChart account but with a shared account this is not required to achieve the “alternatively...” option correct?

Hi Mike thanks for following up. I recommend that each student has an individual account work out of for organization and security reasons; even in our multi-user account options like educational-enterprise Lucidchart uses separate logins and document lists for each user. 

To achieve this I recommend creating a custom template by building your document according to what you want your students to start with then follow the instructions in this Work with Templates article to turn it into a formal template within Lucidchart. This template can then be shared with your students in the same way as a document as described in this sharing section of the same article. This template will then appear in your students' "Shared with Me" folder where they can generate a new document based on that template then edit it as just their own. Please let me know if you have specific questions about this functionality after reviewing the linked articles!