Skip to main content

I'm sorry but I'm missing something simple.  I simply want to add data fields the same ones to every process box I put in a flowchart.  A simple example is adding 2 fields one for the application being used to facilitate the process the other is for where the data is stored.  EG:

PROCESS: Create Analytical Report

APPLICATION: SAS

STORAGE: AWS S3

When I hover over or click on a box ina  flow chart I'd like those data fields to be visible and in an ideal world I'd love to be able to get a simple output report in a table or .csv file of process name application storage. 

When I search through help and here in the community notes I get references to importing data  or veryy complex .csv files that I'm not interested in.  I need something quick and simple.  this is something Visio does easily I believe so I'm afraid I'm just  missing something.

Hi Keith

If you have a CSV with column titles "Process" Application" and "Storage" you can display data for each row in a process shape. It is important to note data files must be linked manually to each shape.

If dragging data to a shape the data won’t automatically appear on the shape. The data that is tied to that particular shape will appear above where the data is shown on your right toolbar and you can decide which data you want to actually be displayed by clicking the “T+”. To see a demonstration of this check out this Community post!

If you would like the data to only be available when a user interacts with the shape please see our Actions and Layers Help Center articles. 

You can export you document to CSV file (see step by step directions here) and each data linked shape on the document's canvas will have a row and the columns from the linked dataset that corresponds in the CSV output.

Please review our data linking article from the Lucidchart Help Center for more information.

I hope this helps - please let us know if you have any additional questions!