Skip to main content

OK I'm a complete Lucid Chart Newbie and getting a bit irritated when trying to move an object e.g. text box and instead it draws out arrows I don't want or starts making a next box... what is the trick to just selecting and grabbing and moving and object within triggering any of the drawing tools. I tried shift click and that works sometimes but not others... if I click on the text on the white space in between words and drag the object moves sometimes and not others... I'm missing something basic.

Lets try and explain the issue:

1. I have an object lets say it is a box and i have text which i overlay on the box (it might not be text it could be another slightly smaller box but we will use the text example) giving me 2 objects occupying the same space

2. I wish to simply select both however as i am close to a larger object i.e. a cloud icon i cannot simply click and drag around the 2 objects in my example because as per my original post whereby it just seems to select the larger object

3. If i try to ctrl-click on the 2 objects it does not work. All what seems to happen is that it toggles between the first or the second object i.e. the box or the text and does not choose both

This manipulation is really easy in Visio but does not work correctly in Lucidchart.

Regards

Pete Carnie.

Hi Pete! I was imagining a small shape next to a large shape. Thanks for clarifying!

I've created a few test scenarios to make sure I fully understand what happens for you. Assuming that the smaller shape is in front of the larger shape I can select both by clicking the smaller shape holding down Shift or Ctrl and clicking the larger shape. If I group the two shapes I'm able to move them elsewhere on the canvas or resize them in scale.

I think it would be helpful to look at the document you're talking about. Could you fill out this form and include the URL to your document? I'll see it and answer right away. I hope this helps!

Hi All Thanks for your patience and feedback. We've made some changes lately that address the feedback you've given us. 

• It's easier to select objects stacked on top of each other.

• The aesthetics of selected objects is much stronger so you know exactly what you've selected and deselected.

• Small shapes are much easier to select and move. 

• And if that's not enough it's now possible to turn off connections which makes selection movement and resizing extremely easy.

Please see gif below for examples. We hope you enjoy the changes. We'll keep working on making Lucidchart even better. Thanks again!

Hello!  I must be missing something but I can't seem to figure it out.  I can't seem to deselect an object.  For instance I click and drag to select multiple objects and wish to deselect one of the objects selected within.  In Illustrator (and in most drawing applications) you can Shift+Click to deselect an object but that doesn't seem to work in LucidChart.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Hi Jesse

Thanks for posting in the community! To deselect an object after dragging to select multiple objects you should be able to press Ctrl + click. This will deselect the clicked object while still allowing you to manipulate the other selected objects. Let me know if that works for you!

Hi all

Trying to rotate text in a line rotate box in 'T'is always deselected and text remains horizontal.

it is possible to write texts on line in vertical?

Thank you.

HI Adrian

Thanks for posting in the community! Unfortunately text on a line can not currently be rotated. You can however add a text box over the line and rotate the text with that box. Once this is done you will want to select both the line and the text box and group them by right-clicking and selecting the group option. This will keep the two shapes together with vertical text!

If this feature is something you'd like to see in Lucidchart please submit your request in our Feature Request form. These requests are passed on to our development team for their consideration! Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.