Skip to main content

Hi

After working for years in Vizio and now working in LC because I'm on a Mac I can't believe rotating groups is still not possible. It was possible in Vizio 14 years ago. The inability to re-arrange space plans with grouped objects is a huge pain. I would go to a competitor just on the feature alone because I'm constantly working on space plans for tradeshows. Our booth space varies from show to show so I am constantly having to reorganize objects that are grouped.

Hi @robert thanks for posting in the community and sharing that feedback. Unfortunately some floor plan shapes such as walls rooms and door/window shapes have some specific formatting presets that limit how customizable they are.

That said it should be possible to group objects such as furniture within these plans and rotate them. I have attached a GIF demonstrating this.

However I understand how the option to rotate these objects would help with re-arranging plans. We're always looking for ways to improve Lucidchart and your feedback is the best way for us to do that. Would you mind adding your idea to our feature request form? Ideas submitted to this form are passed on to the product development team for their consideration.

Thanks for your request and I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you. Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks Leianne

I don't have problems with group objects from Lucid chart. The problems have two do with rooms that are created using wall segments for example. In your example above if I group the sofa TV and TV stand I can rotate that. However if I select the walls and want to rotate the whole thing 90 degrees I can't do that. I'm sure there is a developer reason. There are work arounds of course but they are painful. There are many elements that are part of exhibits that have to be made to scale. For example:

This is a top level of a booth floor plan. Here would be some ideas that could open a whole new market for you guys: Trade Show design.

1. A grid would be awesome. You guys have rulers but they are designed with 2 foot increments. I imported the grid you see above. 

2. In other designs I've made the room in the yellow area with tools from Lucid chart. But more and more now I have to create objects in Photoshop export them to PNG's and insert them as objects in LC instead of making this all in LC. Exhibit room walls are typically much thinner than 2x4 frame construction that you see in house design. So tools to make rooms with thinner walls.

3. More furniture options. Again I designed those.

4. Common symbols for 5 amp 10amp 15amp and 20amp service.  When I place orders with show services I have to let them know on a grid where electric goes.

It goes on and on but I feel LC is close but completely misses a potential market for tradeshow managers here.

So to make a long story short for folks like me that need space planning software for a niche market like tradeshows the inability to group and rotate any objects that are not standard is a real pain :)

Thanks

Hi Robert thanks for continuing this thread and for clarifying that you are referring to the ability to rotate an entire room - walls included - when rotating a group of objects. I certainly understand how this could be fundamental for your work and I'm sorry for the frustration this causes!

Thank you for taking the time to also share such detailed feedback with us about different grid options thinner walls more furniture options (though your custom creations are excellent!) and electric service symbols. Tradeshow management is definitely an interesting use case and it's clear that these additions to Lucidchart's floor plan tool would be impactful! I've logged all of this feedback for review by our development team as they prioritize improvements to Lucidchart's functionality. If you have additional use case details you'd like to share or have ideas for improvement in the future we'd love to continue learning from them via the feature request form linked in Leianne's response above. Most of all we want to ensure the best experience possible for you so please don't hesitate to keep using the community to clarify behavior or get support - we'd be glad to take a look!