Skip to main content

I am a long time Visio user and new to LucidCharts.  So far the most difficult thing to workaround it how Rectangles work.  Whenever I place a rectangle on a drawing like a border around the whole page and then I try clicking anywhere in the drawing it selects the rectangle and then the only way I can get around this is constantly fighting with bringing objects either to the front or back.

My request to make it so that a rectangle is only selected when I specially select a line of the rectangle not the center of it.

Hey Gairt

Thank you for posting in the Lucid Community! For borders and organization we have a few options. You can use a container (as seen in the GIF below) or use Swimlanes. Both are great options when it comes to keeping your diagram clean and organized.

Hope this helps--please let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!

The container object is slightly better but still not what I am looking for.  I tried the container object around some other object and the container immediately groups all of the objects together.  I just want a simple rectangle that does not interact with the objects it is surrounding.

Hey Gairt

Thanks for the response! What you will want to do now in order to prevent the shapes inside the container from grouping is turn off the Magnetize feature on the top toolbar. This will allow you to move the container without the shapes inside moving with it. 

Let me know if this helps out!