Skip to main content

Hello!  I am brand new.  I am trying to create org charts for my department by importing data via Excel.  The charts are organized by tabs with the manager’s name listed on the tab.  However, the manager does not appear in the org chart.  I want the manager to show at the top.

To ensure the manager appears at the top of your org chart in Lucidchart when importing data from Excel, you'll need to adjust your Excel data structure to define the hierarchy, including the manager as the top-level entity.

Here’s how you can achieve this -

1. Structure Your Excel File Correctly - In your Excel file, make sure each row represents an employee, and one of the columns specifies each employee's manager. The manager’s name should be in the same format as it appears for other employees, ensuring consistency.

2. Include the Manager in the Data - For the manager to appear at the top of the org chart, their name should also appear as an employee in your data. You can do this by including a row for the manager themselves. In the column that specifies the manager for each employee, ensure the top-level manager’s row either has no manager listed (it can be blank) or references themselves in a way that Lucidchart understands to place them at the top.

3. Correctly Reference the Manager in Subordinates' Rows - For each employee directly reporting to the manager, ensure the manager's name is listed exactly as it appears in their own row. This creates a direct link in the hierarchy. 

Example:

Name Title Manager
    Sarah Jones CEO  
    Michael Smith VP of Sales Sarah Jones
    Amy Lee Sales Director Michael Smith
    John Doe Sales Representative Amy Lee
  4. Importing the Data -

• In Lucidchart, create a new document or open an existing one.
    • Go to File > Import Data > Org Chart
    • Choose your Excel file.
  5. Adjusting After Import -

• If the manager still doesn’t appear as expected, use Lucidchart’s manual editing features to drag and drop the manager to the top of the hierarchy.
    • You can also check Lucidchart’s data import settings to see if there are options to designate a top-level node or individual as the chart's head.
  6. Use Lucidchart Help Resources - Lucidchart provides detailed guides and support articles on creating org charts from imported data. These resources can offer specific steps and tips for troubleshooting common issues.

7. Review and Validate - After importing, review the org chart to ensure the hierarchy is accurately represented. You might need to make minor adjustments manually to reflect the correct organizational structure.

🍀