Skip to main content

Hello I am new to Lucid is there a way to have Lucid automatically number the steps in a process map flow chart?

Hey Derek

Thank you for posting in the Lucid Community! Would you care to share a screenshot of what you are trying to do so I can get a better idea of what you would like your diagram to look like? 

Thanks for your help!

Hi Phillip sure thanks for taking a look! So belowI am starting to manually label my process shapes as Step 1 Step 2 ........is there an automated way to do this?  Also as a Lucid Manager in your experience would you recommend against doing this as practice?

Hey Derek

Thank you for the reply and screenshot of your work! Unfortunately this is not native functionality however you could attempt to utilize conditional formatting to supplement this action.  As a flowcharting diagram the arrows somewhat signify Step 1 Step 2 etc. as you follow the arrows throughout the flow. It may be worth it to determine if having Steps within your text in your diagram is necessary as it could appear a bit redundant. 

Hope this helps -- please let me know if you have any other questions! 

Got it. That helps.  And I thought the same thing about the redundancy while viewing the chart.  This question goes outside the purview of creating/editing Lucid charts but are aware of a best practice to refer to different steps in the overall process when analyzing/discussing with external parties?  I.E something different then labeling Step 1 or Step 2?  :) 

Hi Derek

Great to hear that helps! Your diagram can be customized completely for your workflow meaning whatever is most clear for you and your team would be best practice. However I would say that the arrows within the diagram are meant to guide the user throughout the flow giving them freedom to navigate the chart while following the prompts given such as "Yes" or "No" in your case. 

Hoping this makes sense and help with your question! 

Yes makes sense. Thanks again for your feedback!

No worries at all Derek -- reach out to us anytime! 

Hi! 

Good news! Although there is no way to automatically number the process boxes on a flowchart there is a way to do it using conditional formatting and formulas. For a more in-depth guide on how to do this check out our Auto-Number your Flowchart Community post.

01HB9WWQPKCD1VHDM7SDNFNM24.png

Hi - came looking for this info.  The link to the earlier post doesn’t work.  Any help?

Hey @jennifer genato, happy to help! Here’s the new link to that post: Auto-Number your Flowchart.