Skip to main content

I uploaded a rich font family that has many font weights but it seems that Lucidchart only offers two weights regular and bold (with the B button). Is there some way I'm missing to set other weights (e.g. thin light black 100 700 etc)?

Hello Alan

Thanks for posting in the Community!

You are correct -- from the toolbar you will only be able to select Bold Italic and Underlined. For more information on formatting and editing text please refer to the following Help Center article: Edit and format text

Note that you can also import your own fonts into Lucidchart which should provide a greater variety of options!

Let me know if you have questions!

Thank you for the response!

Note that you can also import your own fonts into Lucidchart which should provide a greater variety of options!

This question was specifically about imported fonts. It's great that Lucidchart supports importing custom fonts but the usability is limited when you can't choose the weight you want. The font I imported has 20 variants. They were all imported into a single font (as expected) but then that leaves me with no way to access 16 of the 20 variants.

Since it's not supported I figured out a workaround I'll share here in case it helps someone in the future.

If you change the metadata in the files such that each variant has an entirely different font name (rather than sharing one name with multiple variants) they will show up separately in the font picker. It leaves you with a mess where one actual font is listed 20 times but it works at least.

I updated the metadata with a Fontforge script.

Create rename.pe:

Open($1)
SetFontNames($1:r$1:r$1:r)
Generate($1:r + "-Lucid.otf")

Then run the following command to convert one font file:

fontforge -script script.pe font-to-update.otf

Hi Alan

Thanks for sharing this workaround I am sure this will help other users!