Skip to main content

I've read the related post Moving Multiple Objects to a Layer but it doesn't provide the steps for me to successfully accomplish.  My diagram with the 4 layers is un-workable as I cannot figure out how to align the objects that are in different layers SO I'd like to simply move them all to a single layer.  However when I select a layer & it draws the box around all the objects in that layer and I select "Move Objects to Another Layer" and it shows the target (original Page Layer) BUT nothing happens.  Can you please provide the steps and an example to move all objects from one layer to another.  If there are any nuances for multiple layers please provide details - my diagram has 4 layers.

Hi Wayne

Thanks for your post. Would you mind reviewing our Help Center article about working with layers? I think you may find this useful in achieving your original use case. In regard to moving shapes between layers: after right-clicking on the shapes you'd like to move and then selecting the layer you'd like them to appear in, all shapes should render in the specified layer. However, the layer they were moved from will remain and needs to be manually deleted. If you're still having trouble with the layers in your document please let us know. 

ANSWER/RESOLUTION - I was finally able to get this to work.  Perhaps you could update your documentation to be more clear.  The "trick/secret"? was to double click on the layer in the right hand side instead of single clicking.  To move all shapes & lines one has to select all - perhaps obvious but unstated in the documentation & it sounds like just clicking on one object is supposed to allow moving all.  So to restate "To move all shapes and lines from one layer to another first double click on the layer name in the right hand side menu that you want to move things from.  Then Use the Select Menu bar and choose "All".  Then right click on one of the selected shapes choose "Move to Layer" and select the Layer you want to move the objects to."

Hi Wayne

Thank you for posting in the community and clarifying this! We'll work with our content team to ensure this Help Center article reflects this information better. If you have any additional questions please let us know!

Not working for me even when I try Wayne's method.

God this one feature (layers) is maddening... shouldn't be this hard to move an object to another layer.

Hi Russell F

Thanks for reaching out. This sounds like it could be a document specific problem so I will be moving your request to a support ticket for one-on-one troubleshooting. Please keep an eye out for an email from Lucidchart Support. Thanks!

I found that if you want to move all objects in a layer to another layer or the main page:

Double-Click on an item in the layer

Select all (Command-A) on Mac

Right-Click and select "Move to Layer"

Hi Johnny

Thanks for your contribution to this thread! This is a super helpful tip!