Skip to main content
Question

Mangled text

• 30 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello!

I started working on a new chart this morning, and it worked fine until I closed and re-opened the document -- and now the text is mangled.

I tried disabling WebGL:

I tried changing the font and back again:

I’m using Firefox 120.0.1 (64-bit) in Debian 12 -- and to be clear, this document was working perfectly this morning. This is a “stopped working” situation rather than a “never worked” situation. Other websites in the same browser are working, too.

Hey there! It sounds like the trouble you're having might be tied to that Lucidchart doc. Sometimes updates to browsers or apps can cause pesky compatibility issues and glitches. When I faced a similar hiccup, I kicked things off by clearing out the cache and cookies in my Firefox browser. Sometimes, stored data can mess with how web apps run.

Another good move is to check for updates to make sure your Firefox is up-to-date. An older browser version might not play nice with certain web apps. Hope this helps!

I don’t know who marked this as “solved”, because it isn’t. 

For £100/year, this is weird tech support. I’ve already recreated my documents in draw.io so that I’m not blocked, and it’s a shame Lucid’s in such denial that they’re wiling to accept “update your browser” as a solution on my behalf.

For the money I’ve spent, I wish I could talk to a human being. 

Hi Cariad, 

Thanks for following up on this! To clarify, this is the Peer support session of the Lucid Community, and Lucid users like Ria are expected to kindly chime in to respond to questions and help their peers 😀🤝

Ria is correct – the issue you’re experiencing is likely to be related to your browser. Another possibility is interference from your network security settings. I understand Lucid was working as expected in Firefox and with your network. However, something may have changed on your end that caused the issue to surface – e.g., a new extension may have been enabled, or cache and cookies may have come into play. 

To help us determine if this is indeed the case and narrow down the cause of this issue, would you mind trying the steps below? 

• Try opening your document in Firefox Private Browsing. 
  • Try opening your document in an alternate browser. We recommend Google Chrome for optimal performance.
  • Try disconnecting from your VPN (if applicable). 
  • Try connecting to a different network, if possible, a mobile hotspot. 

If the issue persists after following those steps, could you send a screenshot of the associated Javascript Console output after reproducing it in a private browsing window or alternate browser? You can open your Javascript Console by pressing Ctrl+Shift+J.

Thanks for your help here :) 

Hi @Cariad,

I’m sorry your seeing this, and it does seem abnormal and so frustrating! I’m on Lucid’s engineering team and wanted to add a couple thoughts to what’s already here.

The steps you took with disabling WebGL and switching fonts were great for attempting to clear whatever the bad state is. The other suggestions so far in the thread can be helpful for diagnosing what might be happening, which could help get to a good state or pointing out when there is a larger bug lurking. 

A thought that occurs to me is that I’m not as familiar with the specific font you’re using, which has me guessing it may not be one of the fonts enabled by default. I didn’t see the intermediate screen shot from when you tried changing fonts. It does look like there is something off with the sizing or clipping of the font, though.

My attempts to reproduce so far haven’t been successful, even on Firefox (121.0 on Ubuntu), though I’m hopeful some of the debugging steps above might shed additional light! I’m sorry you’re experiencing this issue, and hope this helps you continue your work in Lucidchart.