Skip to main content

Hi how do I add another alternative (say an "else if" situation) to the UML Sequence diagram if building it using drag-and-drop?

Hi Doug thanks for posting in the Lucid community! I recommend using the Option Loop or Alternative shapes from the UML Sequence shape library. Both are shown below:

These can be overlaid on the rest of your sequence diagram where needed to show these alternative flows. Please let me know if you have additional questions!

Right but I need to add a third alternative it's not just a binary choice.  Can I do that without using markup?  Thanks Micah.

Hi Doug apologies for the miscommunication. Thanks for clarifying you're looking for a third alternative! It's not possible to automatically generate a third option on that Alternative shape from the shape library but if you prefer to build your diagram manually I believe you could create an effective stand-in from regular shapes. Below I've created a similar Alternative shape with a condition an "else" statement and an "else if" statement using regular Lucidchart boxes and lines. 

You could similarly group these objects together then overlay them on the rest of your sequence diagram. I hope this helps!

ok that makes sense.  Thanks.