Skip to main content

I am looking for a more granular "locking" capability for a basic rectangular shape (or shapes in general).  Visio provided access to shape "details".  The master shape could be configured this way and individual instances of the shape could be reconfigured using nifty lock settings (lock position lock height lock width lock aspect ratio etc.).  This was quite useful when building out IDEF models where I needed to maintain a consistent height for the function (or activity) blocks but needed flexibility to stretch the width of the rectangle to accommodate a longer function name.  The picture below illustrates the problem...

A series of rectangular shapes are plopped down and I start renaming them.  As I expand the function name text (in the red shape) you see the shape height automatically increasing and everything starts to blow up... the control arrows (top) mechanisms (bottom) as well as the function number which is group with the larger rectangular shape.  It's very difficult to control this behavior as you type so I spend quite a bit of time reworking the diagram shapes to make the shape height consistent.  Often the heights are a pixel off and that throws shape alignment and connection arrows off.

Hi Joe 

Thanks for posting in the Lucidchart Community! You can lock a shape’s size position and style in Lucidchart. In order for you to lock a shape height please follow these steps: 

1. Select the shape you’d like to resize.
  2. Click the shape options menu on the top properties bar and then adjust the dimensions of the shape.
  3. Select the shape again.
  4. Click the lock icon in the properties bar.
  5. Click the check-box “Size and Position.”

Please note that once you locked your shape size and position any text you type in that exceeds the shape size will overflow. Additionally in order for you to move shape or resize that shape you will first need to unlock it.

You can also quickly access these same options by right-clicking on a shape and selecting “lock/unlock”. You can choose to lock all elements lock the size and position lock the style and lock the content.

For more advanced tips and tricks on how to style and work with shapes in Lucidchart please take a look at this article from the Lucidchart Help Center. Hope this helps!

¿Habla español? ¡Haga una pregunta aquí!

Fala português? Faça uma pergunta aqui!

Thx so-so much Flavia!  BIG-BIG help!

joe