Skip to main content

I’m looking to ‘secure’ a link for a selected group of people, is this possible?

Things I’ve tried -

• Had a link expire after a specified time.
    • Did this not work link was still accessible after it expired
    • Users are still able to copy and share the ‘url’ of the board
  • Gave users ‘edit only’ access
    • Users are still able to copy and share the ‘url’ of the board

Hey there,

Thanks for posting in the Lucid Community! An expiration applies to the shareable link only. This means all collaborators who accessed the document or board prior to the link expiring will continue to have access to the document or board. To revoke access from a collaborator, you will need to unshare the document or board with them.

For the second point, did you give them edit only or view only access? If they have edit access to the board, they will be able to edit the board until you revoke those edit privileges, but they would only be able to share if the link is set to ‘shareable.’ If they have view only, they will only be able to open the board, but again, would be able to share only if the link is set to ‘shareable.’

I would take a look at our Lucid Help Center article on Sharing -- this will give you more information on sharing and help you determine which method might work best for you.

Hope this helps -- let us know if you have any other questions!

Hi! Here is the help center article on sharing options. From what I am reading the expiration doesn’t expire people who have viewed it already, but simply stops new access to the link. You would need to go in and remove sharing once you want it to no longer be active. 

Here is help center article section on that.

Note: An expiration applies to the shareable link only. This means all collaborators who accessed the document or board prior to the link expiring will continue to have access to the document or board. To revoke access from a collaborator, you will need to unshare the document or board with them.

Hey Alicia,

Thanks for responding to @rvassilatos’s post! You are exactly right here, the sharable link does expire, however, the document will still be shared with the user until the document has been unshared with them. 

Thanks again for helping out 🤝🏻

that includes any person who’s previously viewed it? We removed everyone’s access (by pressing ‘X’ next to each person’s name under the ‘manage’ section of the ‘share link’ icon) and the link was still accessible to those people. 

Read the article before as well and just confirming there is no real way to stop a person from sharing a link via copying the url of the board and sending this out, right? Would applying a passcode work? If someone copied the url would they still need to enter a passcode, if activated?

Hey @rvassilatos,

Thanks for the response! If the shareable link is still active then, yes, the URL will still function as normal for those folks to have access. If the shareable link has been disabled, these users would no longer have access to the document, even if they have the URL in their browser history. 

As for a passcode -- yes, if enabled, even if just the URL is copied, anyone wishing to edit the document would need to enter in the passcode. It should be noted, however, that if the shareable link is view only, the users will not be prompted to enter a passcode. 

Hope this helps clarify -- let us know if you have any other questions. Cheers!🍻

@Phillip W by disabled do you mean expired? and sorry if I wasn’t clear above by ‘url’ i was referring to a user copying the url address from the browser. In trying to make the board private and not shareable, we realized people could still copy the url from the browser and give this link to a person. Trying to see if this is something I can get around or if we just can’t use Lucid for this activity. 

Hey @rvassilatos -- no worries at all, that’s what I had thought you were referring to. And apologies if I wasn’t clear, you can disable share links within the share modal seen here:

If you disable the share link (moving the switch to off) you will then be able to remove the collaborators (if you haven’t already) and they will no longer have access to the document, even when copying and pasting the URL from the browser. 

Hope this helps clarify! 👍

thank you for this, I’ll test it this way. Thank you!

No problem -- let us know if you have any other questions!