Skip to main content

Can I have data like www.google.com that populates a shape and is clickable by viewers?

Hi Ben thanks for posting in the community! It is possible to have a URL in your data set that you import which you can then use to populate a shape according to the instructions in this Link Google Sheet Excel or CSV Data to Lucidchart article. Unfortunately the URL will be added as plain text to the shape and the hyperlink will not be maintained upon import. However you can add this hyperlink back to the text or the shape itself using the Actions tool where you can manually insert the corresponding URL that you would like to direct viewers to as shown here:

For more information on creating this link please see this Actions and Hotspots article

While it does require using two different Lucidchart tools you should be able to achieve the effect and ability you're hoping for! Please let me know if you have any additional questions. 

I would think that having to add the data manually obviates the benefit of linking data in the first place.

Thanks for the response though!

Might be a worthwhile feature to put on your list.

Just checking if this feature is active yet. I have created a curriculum map using the org chart outline and each shape links to the relevant learning via a hyperlink that is present in the data - the only issue is I have to then manually copy that link to the hyperlink/action feature. I have over 400 learning modules (shapes). Is this not able to be automated?  

Hey Stuart

Thank you for the comment! Unfortunately no this feature has yet to be implemented. However we always want to provide a space for our users to voice their needs -- I will be sure to forward this along to our devs! 

Thanks again for posting and allowing us the opportunity to make Lucidchart better for your workflow! 

Come on guys.  You add custom data, but don’t even lets us access those variables in a hotspot link?  That seems fairly remiss.  Fairly simple:  Add ability to reference shape data inside the URL link.  Why is this something you cant just priortize?  It’s basic.

@Phillip W  this is a bug, not a feature request.  Custom data not being accessible in your link field is an oversight.

This solves it

Hey @BGGG -- thank you for posting and providing a great information for a workaround! I would like to clarify here: this is NOT a bug, but rather, the feature of automatically making a shape clickable with the link that is within a dataset is not a feature we currently support. At any rate, this workaround is fantastic and provides users the ability to do this, albeit with a slight manual intervention. 

Thanks again for research and information here! 

Hi! I’m Abby from Lucid, reaching out because I think you, and others who might come across this topic in the future, might be interested in Lucid’s Data Trusted User Group. This group is made up of knowledgeable users who regularly analyze and visualize data in their work. As part of this group, you’ll have the opportunity to connect directly with Lucid’s product team, gain early access to beta features, and share insights about your needs, shaping the future of Lucid’s data solutions 🎉 You can learn more and request to join here. Thanks!