Skip to main content

Is it possible to create a shape from scratch in LucidChart?  (I.e. create the shape by drawing lines/arcs boxes etc add connection points).

My main purpose for using LucidChart is drawing digital logic diagrams.  I need logic gates beyond the 13 in the "Logic Gates" library plus a few more in the "Electrical" library.  For instance gates with more inputs elements such as adders/subtractors.  

Thanks

Jeff

Hey Jeff

Thank you for posting in the Lucid Community. Customizing shapes within Lucidchart is absolutely possible. Here's a link to Lucid's Help Desk article Modify Format and Style Shapes that should help you out along the way. It is also possible to import images SVG files and Visio Stencils into Lucidchart as well. These along with modified shapes can be saved within your Shape Library to allow you access to them at any time. 

Hope this helps!

If anyone else out there is experiencing something similar or even a little more unique you can always reach out to Support@Lucidchart.com and we would be happy to take a closer look.

Hi Phillip

Thanks for the pointer to the article.  It looks like the approach to creating shapes is different than with other tools (Visio for instance).  Rather than drawing the shape using lines arcs etc I guess I need to combine existing shapes to get what I want?  

I'm a former Visio user but on an M1 Mac now where Visio isn't an option so I'm learning how to use LucidChart to accomplish the same things that I used to do with Visio.

Jeff

Hey Jeff

We love to hear that you are giving Lucidchart a shot! Yes while there is no exclusive feature for drawing you can manipulate shapes to create what you would want. You can also utilize our import feature to utilize other programs if drawing is more practical for your purposes. 

With that being said we're always looking for ways to improve Lucidchart and your feedback is the best way for us to do that. Would you mind adding your idea to our feature request form? Ideas submitted to this form are passed on to the product development team for their consideration.

Feel free to reach out anytime with more questions!