Skip to main content

How do I insert a shape between two shapes already in my flowchart and have the lines automatically update to include the new shape in the flow?

Hi Darcy thanks for posting on the community! If you drag a new shape onto an existing line in the editor you should see that the line breaks to adjust to the shape as in the gif I have provided below.

If you want to have the flexibility to move the shapes around and have the lines auto-adjust accordingly I would recommend using Smart Lines - this can be done by dragging a line between shapes to just inside the shape until you see a blue highlight around the shape after which you can move your shape around and the line will automatically adjust its connection points to give you the most efficient path between your shapes. For additional information on creating and using Smart Lines please check out our Work with Lines article. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply Shanna. Yes that process works in most situations. But it doesn't work when the space between two shapes is smaller than the default size of the new shape. In your example try adding a Rectangle shape between the two red shapes in the bottom right corner. Is there some trick to dragging & dropping a shape between those two?

Hi Darcy thanks for following up and for providing that additional context! If the shape is similar in size to or larger than the line you are correct that it will not work as explained in my example above. Unfortunately there is not a shortcut for inputting a shape on a short line such as the one between the two red shapes in the bottom right corner of my gif above. You will need to manually adjust the shapes/line until there is sufficient space to add an additional shape.

If you are interested in promoting an auto-adjustment layout option in which dragging and dropping a shape could be done on short lines please fill out our feature request form. Ideas submitted here are passed on directly to our Product Development team and can help shape future roadmaps!