Skip to main content

All of a sudden when I add a new standard shape it includes an icon set by default.  Eg every time i add a new shape there is a "red x" automatically applied to it. 

I google around and learned the "red x" is an icon set and I know how to remove them from the shape. But how to I change the default setting to not include icon sets?  It is annoying to turn the icon set off on each new shape I add.

Hi Avant thanks for reaching out!

The issue you describe makes me think that this is caused by conditional formatting that is enabled for the whole page. Could you try the following to see if this solves the issue? 

Open the conditional formatting panel. If there are formatting rules showing under “Applied to Shapes on Page” click on the three dots>unapply for each of them. This should disable the icon set for all new shapes as well as existing shapes. 

Please let me know if this works for you! You can learn more about conditional formatting and icon sets in this help center article.

I have this same issue and no conditional formatting is applied. 

Right after commenting I figured out the issue. If you choose icon sets and select an icon (which I did at the start of my session as I was trying to find a certain icon) it will save it and automatically add it to EVERY shape after that. The solution is to make sure nothing is selected and then click the "icon sets" button and remove the icon. 

Hi Joel

Thanks for posting in the Lucidchart Community! If icons are appearing on your shapes and on new shapes please ensure your shape icons are turned 'off.' To do this click on the 'Icon Sets' menu inyour toolbar (seen below).

In this menu click 'Remove Icon.'

This should remove the icon from this shape. To remove them from other shapes select those affected and choose the 'Remove Icon' option. This should remove all icons and prevent icons from appearing on new shapes as well. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Thanks I had no trouble removing them- it was the fact they were on by default was what was confusing. In my 2nd post I posted the solution. It was not intuitive that setting it to be default "off" was done by having nothing selected.