Skip to main content

I created a custom shape to display data for continual reporting. We have a progress bar so the status of the snap shot but it's being applied to each shape in the grouped shape. How can I get the rule to only apply to the parent shape of the group and not each individual shape within the group?

Hi Kaitlyn 

Thanks for reaching out! Can you please post a screenshot of how your rules are set up in the conditional formatting panel so I can get a better idea of what is going on? Alternatively you could share an invite link to the document (if it is not confidential) and I can look that way. 

If you do now want to share this information publicly please contact us at support@lucidchart.com. Thanks! 

Annika

Thanks! I went ahead and created a dummy dashboard for you to link into and take a look at the rules. I can't figure out how to apply it to all grouped shapes but only at the parent level and not the sub shape level. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hi Kaitlyn 

Thanks for sharing that test doc! I was able to reproduce what you are experiencing - it is strange that selecting "unapply" does not remove the icon from the child shape. I think this might be a product issue but I have reached out to our product team to confirm. I will follow up with any further information. 

Hi Kaitlyn 

Good news! I was able to figure out what the issue is. 

It looks like when you are applying the rules you are applying them to the parent item of the grouped shape (the combination of the two shapes that make up each section of the dashboard). You can accomplish this by clicking once on the grouped shape and then applying the rule. This will apply the icon to all components of the group. 

To apply the icon to just one component of the group you will need to first un-apply it from the grouped shape as a whole and then apply it to just the outer shape. You will have to double-click on the outer shape to access the conditional formatting settings of just that shape. 

I have done this with the top left shape in your dummy dashboard. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns! 

Hi! I’m Micah from Lucid’s community team. 👋 I thought you, and any others who might come across this topic in the future, might be interested in Lucid’s Data Trusted User Group. This group is made up of knowledgeable users who regularly analyze and visualize data in their work. As part of this group, you’ll have the opportunity to connect directly with Lucid’s product team, gain early access to beta features, and share insights about your needs, shaping the future of Lucid’s data solutions 🎉 You can learn more and request to join here. Thanks!