Skip to main content
Solved

How to set scale for a floorplan -- I'm missing something

• 13 May 2022
  • 6 replies

I have a real world measurement of this section of my floorplan (80 feet).

I want to calbrate Lucidchart's scale so that when I drop the measurement tool 
(this thing:) onto my floorplan

the distance will equal 80 feet:

Maybe LC doesn't allow for this? I've tried a couple times not getting the right result. 

I want to do rough measurements of distances between rooms. Hope someone can help

Comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi Russell

Thank you for posting in the Community! Just to make sure that we are on the same page please review our Floorplan Tool article from the Lucid Help Center and let me know if you have any questions about the set up or intended functionality.

To change the scale of your floor plan you can open the scale tool by clicking the gear icon that appears in the bottom left corner of the canvas when you open a floor plan template or save the Floor Plan shape library. You can then add the measurement tool onto your canvas and extend it to the desired measurement. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Badge +4

Hi Liz. 

I did review the floorplan article; I'm still not "getting" it.

When I change my document's scale my content grows... that's not what I want. 

If you look at other drawing apps (Acrobat Bluebeam Revu Aruba Airwave) they allow the scale to be recalibrated without resizing objects. 

Any other advice?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi Russell

Thank you for following up. I have created a ticket from your post so that I can take a closer look at your issue and will reach out via email. 

Badge +1

Hi, I have the same question here. I also read the documentation. First of all, I'm surprise by some limit of the system. Then, I have the feeling something is not working properly.

As all this is related to measurement and scale I will continue this topic.

Limits

When I go in document setting I can only change the unit as

Centimeters? For floor plan it is quite common to use mm or m but not too much cm. Where is the option to force all measures in mm or m?

Scale problem

I don't understand how it works

In Document Settings, I set my content scale to 100% and my grid size to 0.5 cm.

Then I zoom on my page and I check. My scale and grid size are still the same.

My grid is correct.

I see small square of 5 mm.

Now, I would like to fix the mesure ruler and tell him that each small square of 5 mm  represent 20 cm on my scale bar.

I enter 0.5 cm (1) then 0.2 m and for some reason the system change my rule on top. suddenly my grid is wrong.

If I go in document settings the scale changed to 160%. O don't know why. and grid size is now 0.8 cm. Why? The measure rule component is broken and should not affect the document setting. This is two différents things to set up it's paper and choosing a scale.

As architect, I can work on millimeter paper and use different scale. Modifying the scale will not change my paper.

Badge +1

I think that for some reason you fixed the default scale to 1:64 as being 100%

When I change the 100% to 101% the scale become 1:63.

Ok I can deal with that. What I cannot deal is that changing the scale like this also change the grid size. This is not visible on 1% change but the grid is also affected by this change. I don't understand why. 

I repeat, imagine I have real paper, once I choose millimeter paper, choosing my scale on this paper will not change the grid of the paper.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @b4st13n

Thanks for continuing this thread, and I’m sorry for the confusion around content scale and floor plan scale. Those features are completely separate and should not be used in conjunction, as I will detail below. 

The units available in our Document Settings are specific to the options related to the canvas (e.g., page, grid, and margin sizes) and do not apply to floor plan objects and tools. To change the units specific to your floor plan objets and tools, you need to choose between feet/inches and centimeters/meters directly from our scale tool by clicking the gear icon on the bottom left corner of the canvas. 

From there, you can also set your floor plan scale to the appropriate proportions in the chosen unit. The values you input there will reflect on your measurement object. In the example below, I set the unit to “meters” and the proportion to 1:100, which indicates that 1cm of the canvas page equals 1m of “real” elements (walls, furniture and so on). As a result, each section of my measurement object measures 1cm on the canvas, and each centimeter represents 1 meter in “real life”. Those tools are meant to help you to properly adjust your walls to be the correct length and give you a visual reference.

When building a floor plan, adjusting your content scale (under the document settings) will cause the size of the content in your document to adjust in relation to the page tiles. For example, if you decrease the content scale from 100% to 50%, the content (your floor plan) will shrink to cover just a quarter of the original page tile. As a result, this will mess up your floor plan scale. Because of this, we recommend fixing a content scale at the beginning (by setting the value you want upfront) and, from there, using the the scale tool as I described above to set your actual floor plan scale. 

If you’d like an additional resource to help scaling your floor plan, I’d also recommend matching your canvas grid size (the grid boxes you see in the background of your canvas) as a visual guide for your floor plan by matching it up with your scale. In the example below, I set my grid size to 1 cm, which matches up my with scale (1cm:1m) and, therefore, to the size of each section of my measurement object. Each grid box has 1cm, and each grid corresponds to 1m in terms of “actual” objects. The internal wall on the right measures 7.81m in “real life” – using either the measurement object or the grid, you will see that, on the canvas, that internal wall measures 7,81cm (I included some rulers to help you visualize that). 

I hope this helps you to better understand the logic behind out floor plan scale and units!