Skip to main content
Question

How to Nest Diagrams in Lucidchart to reveal additional details

• 22 November 2022
  • 1 reply

I have an extensive model I want to create visually. Using supersets multiple subsets sets and elements I want to nest (compose) diagrams into each other while still having an easy-to-use tree to navigate. I am not sure Lucidchart is complex enough to suit my needs. Could someone please give me some advice?

Example nested diagrams: Superset diagram > Subset diagrams > Set diagram > Elements diagram. Several other nested diagrams follow another Superset and so on.

Connecting pages or using layers seems messy. Can I represent the child-parent relationships in Lucidchart or do I have to use another tool?

Hi @perry m thanks for posting in the community!

That's a great question I understand you've mentioned that Layers may not be what you are looking for however reading your description I do recommend the Layers feature for your use-case. With this feature you can create a diagram for each of the elements on a different layer and use actions to toggle layers on/off - creating a nested effect. 

For example:
Layer 1 - Superset diagram
Layer 2 - Subset diagram
Layer 3 - Set diagram

Once your diagrams are ready you can create a 'button' to toggle each layer using the Actions feature. This help center article also has more information on the different things you can do with actions. 

After this you should be able to use the button to display each of the components of your diagram either together or separately. I have attached a GIF demonstrating the above! 

JMo8NvU_BSGNUnpKxuYbfA.gif
I hope this helps! Please let me know if this is not what you are looking for or if you have any questions about this!