Skip to main content
Solved

How to move shape label from bottom to top in Lucidchart? (BPMN shapes)

Having some trouble repositioning a shape's text label. Specifically, I want to move the label from the bottom to the top of a shape.

According to a Lucidchart video, the label should automatically appear on top when an arrow is below the shape. However, I can't find any option to reposition the label manually.

Is there a hidden setting or a specific way to move text labels in Lucidchart? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Fern 

There are limitations for directly moving the default text box for BPMN shapes per your ask.

Can you try this and see if suits your requirement - leave the default text box blank and use the Text tool to create a new text box.

Position the new text box at the top of the BPMN shape, then select both the shape and the text box.

Lastly, group them together by right-clicking and choosing "Group" - this ensures the text box stays positioned relative to the shape when you move it around, providing a flexible solution to meet your requirements.

Hope this helps - Happy to help further!!
Thank you very much and have a great one!
Warm regards

Badge +1

Hi @Humas1985 - Thanks for your help! I was hoping this wouldn’t be the answer - I came across an older thread suggesting the same thing, but it's not a practical/viable option. Interestingly, there's a four-year-old video on Lucid's YT channel demonstrating this feature working correctly. It seems the text box changed in a counterintuitive way since then.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I esteem your determination in finding a solution.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Humas1985 I love this suggestion! @Fern to build on the previous suggestions, after the shape and text box have been grouped, they can be added to a custom shaped library to be used more easily in the future. All you need to do is add a custom shape library to your shapes panel and drag the group of objects to the custom shape library. You can learn more about how to create a custom shape library by reading the Shape libraries in Lucidchart Help Center article.

Let me know if you have any questions about this process or would like to see an example.

Badge +1

Thanks for the tip @gwingate! I’ll definitely give that a try as soon as I mitigate free trial pop-up attacks (maxed out free shapes?!) after just one day of LC.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Fern Glad to help out, let us know if you have any other questions!