Skip to main content
Solved

How to find a shape name in Lucidchart

• 30 October 2020
  • 8 replies

I have opened a template.

I click/select a shape that was used .

How do I find what kind(name) it is called?

Thanks.

Hi James thanks for posting on the community! To see the shape names hover over a specific shape in the shape library. You will see a pop up to the right of the shape menu with a larger image of the shape and the name of the shape below. I have attached a gif of this process below.

For more information on working with shapes in the editor please check out our Modify Format and Style Shapes article. Hope this helps!

Sorry for any confusion...I'm not talking about sselecting a shape in the library...

I opened a template and there are shapes already used.  How do I tell what a shape name is for those that are already used?

Do I have to just scroll thru the library until I visually find a match?

thanks.

Hi James thanks for providing that additional information! My apologies for the misunderstanding.

While there is not a way to see the names of shapes on the diagram itself if you are using a template with shapes outside the standard shape library when you open the template the shape library the shapes on the diagram are included in will automatically be added to the shape library menu on the left hand side of the editor. 

For example in the screenshot below I have opened a House Floor Plan template. As you can see from the screenshot the "walls" "rooms" "doors & windows" etc. shape libraries are automatically added to the shape library options I see auto-populated in the shape library menu. So while I will need to scroll through those to find the match for a given shape I only have to look through the shape libraries that I know are utilized in the diagram provided in the template. So yes if you want the name for a particular shape you will need to scroll through the shape libraries on the left hand side of the editor until you find the shape from the included shape libraries that are used in the template that visually matches the shape you're looking for.

Thanks 

Some of the templates do not load the shapes libraries see the "Retail execution data model" template. 

However I did notice that the name of the shape appears in the Context Menu in the pane on the right hand side. 

This one is called "card" and searching for that works.

Hey Gene 

Thanks for keeping this conversation going! I am unable to replicate this issue on my end as the shape library for this template seems to show up. Would you care to post a screenshot of the Shape menu after inserting this template so we can take a closer look?

If this doesn't work as intended searching for Salesforce Architecture Diagram shapes within our Shape Library also works. This will display all of our Salesforce shapes that we have within our library. 

Hope this helps--feel free to comment with the screenshot or reach out to us directly at support@lucidchart.com with it and any other questions. Cheers!

When I load that template the "Cards" shape menu (the main one in use with this template) does not load for me.  I do see it in your example. 

My point is that you can see the name of the shape in the other menu which is not something that I could find documented elsewhere. Once I knew the name of the shape I could find the shape menu by searching for card or cards. 

Hey Gene 

Aha I see. Very interesting that the Shape Menu was not updating for you however glad to hear you managed to get it sorted.