Skip to main content

How can I delete a file I don't need anymore?

Hi Cyril - To delete a document simply hover over the document in your Documents Page. Then click More > Delete. 

This moves to the trash can.  How do I remove a file completely?

Hey there documents are automatically removed from the trash after seven days. Currently there is no way to permanently delete the documents before this 7-day grace period expires.

I have the same question. How do I remove the file completely? 

Hi there thanks for reaching out in the community. Documents are automatically removed from the trash after seven days. Currently there is no way to permanently delete the documents before this 7-day grace period expires. The reason why this exists is so that users who delete documents by accident will still have the ability to recover their documents.

Hi If I delete a file from a shared folder does the Owner still have access to it elsewhere (other than in Trash)? (Unless it's a copy of a file I would assume the owner has access elsewhere). Thank you

Hi Leora! It's not currently possible for a user to delete a document they don't own from the 'Shared with Me' section unless they have full edit permission to the document. Did you mean to say that the document is in a Team Folder? Unlike shared folders documents in Team Folders are 'owned' by the overall account rather than one individual user- even the user who initially created the document.

When you delete a document in a Team Folder it will show up in the Trash for all Team Folder collaborators not just for the person who deleted it. Only those users with Edit or higher permissions can restore the deleted document from the trash. For more information on ownership and permissions for documents in Team Folders I recommend looking through this article from our Help Centre. Hope this helps!

Hi Thanks for the reply. Yes I read up on Team Folders/Files. Your Help section regarding Shared Folders and Files isn't as robust as the Team one.
No I was referring to Shared folders and files. I deleted a file from a Shared with Me Folder and I was wondering if the owner is still able to see and access it on their end.

I ask this because we had a person creating things outside of the Team folder and they are leaving the company...so I think you answered my question. Which is they still own the document and can access it. Although I think because they are signed into Lucid through our company they will lose access once they are removed form that general access. Correct?

Thank you

LL

Hi Leora! My apologies but the information in my first reply was misleading- you can delete something from 'Shared with Me' as long as you have full edit permissions for the document. I edited my original reply to avoid any confusion. 

If the document was in a shared folder and not a Team folder it will be showing up in the Trash of the original owner only- so you won't see it in your Trash folder. They will be able to restore it for 7 days until it clears from the Trash. They will see a 'Document Deleted' message if they try to access the document from a URL and they can also make a copy of the document. 

If the user is part of your company account you (or an administrator on the company account) can use the transfer/delete feature to delete the user and transfer ownership of their documents to another user. At that point they will lose access to the document- assuming that they have not shared the document with any alternative Lucid accounts they might have outside of the company account (which they may or may not be able to do depending on the collaboration settings chosen for your company account.)

I also created a Support ticket from your post so we can take a closer look at the document/user in question and provide more specific advice based on your company account settings. 

This person created files OUTSIDE of the TEAM. I thought I could also drag files from Shared with Me to the Team Folder but that is not an option because she owns the documents.
Copying them and moving them to the Team folder changes their source link. Any workaround for us? We don't want to lose all of these Docs when she is removed...again she is not on the Team she created files in My Documents and then shared them. She did not put them in the Team Folders so we cannot do the Transfer/delete option. 

Thanks for providing that clarification Leora! I created a Support ticket and have reached out to you directly. Would you mind replying to that email (which should be in your inbox from support@lucidchart.com) with the email address of the user in question and the document URL so we can provide some more specific advice?