Skip to main content

How do I select and move a bunch of shapes within another shape?  Is there a way to select them without clicking on each one?  

For example, how can I select the three red squares and not the outer boundary square? 

Hi @Kristie, thank you for posting in the community! That’s a great question, the quickest way to select multiple shapes at once is by dragging a selection box around the items! You can do this by clicking on the canvas and dragging while holding the left mouse button.

I’ve also included a GIF demonstrating the different methods of selecting shapes:

1. Clicking each shape while holding Shift or Ctrl (Cmd on Mac).
  2. Dragging a selection box around the objects I want to select (my favourite method). 
  3. If you accidentally selected too many objects, you can deselect any of the objects by holding Shift or Ctrl (Cmd on Mac) and clicking the object you’d like to deselect. In my example I deselected the box containing the pink objects. 

I hope this helps! Feel free to let me know if this is not what you are looking for, or if you have any questions :) 

Thank you for the quick reply.  I’m not able to replicate what you show.  

When I move my mouse pointer into the outer box the cursor turns into a four way arrow and the outer box is already selected to move.  

(Am I allowed to add a gif of my screen?)

Hi @Kristie, thank you for following up with that information! Please feel free to share a screenshot or GIF of what you are seeing - reminder that this is a public forum so please be aware of any sensitive information shown in those files!

It sounds like you may have created the border using a shape with no colour fill (transparent) - is this correct? If that is the case, the behaviour you’ve described is expected. 

If you do not need the object to be a rectangular shape and you just need a border around those three pink objects, I would recommend using one of the Container shapes instead. The container can act as a border but also allow you to freely select and move any objects inside them as well as keeping objects contained inside when the container is moved around. 

I’ve attached another GIF demonstrating the difference between the two options - could you please give this a try and let me know if you see any improvements? 

I hope this helps! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions :)

This is perfect and exactly what I needed to know.  Thank you for the quick responses. 

Thanks for the update, @Kristie! So glad to hear that was helpful. If you have any other questions or ideas you’d like to discuss, please don’t hesitate to share in the community - we love hearing from everyone. Cheers! 🙌