Skip to main content

Am I missing something or is there no Stage Separator i.e. a Horizontal Line in a Vertical Swimlane or a Vertical Line in a Horizontal Swimlane that can be anchored to one or both sidewalls of a process swimlane? 

I need to anchor cross-lane lines at various points along process progression timeline in a swimlane in order to indicate "stages" of a process without using complicated activity groups.  For example within a swimlane in a example project I need to indicate a Planning Stage Setup Stage Execution Stage Wrap-up Stage Reporting Stage.  

These "stage markers" exist in Visio templates but when I import them LucidChart loses its anchoring behavior and stage markers cannot be locked in their relative location when the swimlanes are resized.  

If this feature is missing in LucidChart please add it to the Product Manager's "To-Do" List.  I will not be making a separate feature request.  

Hi Rich thanks for posting! Are you referring to something like the Multilane Pool shape from our UML shape library? (There is also a vertical version of this shape):jXWVk-lFYuApPWoBGB10bQ.png

Unfortunately it's not currently possible to manually add or relocate the lane/stage separator in this shape but this is a great idea! I will pass this feedback on to our product team.

With regards to importing from Visio-- compatibility with Visio is something we take very seriously and our team has dedicated countless hours over the last few years to make these imports/exports as high fidelity as possible. In certain cases due to differences between the two applications shapes may behave differently in Lucidchart in order to maintain visual fidelity with the original diagram. So swimlane shapes in a document imported from a Visio file will not function exactly like a standard Lucidchart swimlane shape. 

As a workaround I recommend adding a standard block shape to act as an additional lane/stage seperator in your swimlane shape. You can then group this block shape with the swimlane and create a custom shape from the group. Let me know if you have any questions!