Skip to main content

Hello is there a way to hide the data type in a LucidChart ERD made from a SQL Server database as shown below? I just want to show the names of the table columns not the data type. Thanks!

Hi Ping thanks for posting in the Lucid community - I'm happy to help! Currently removing the data type column from an ERD shape that you imported is not currently supported in Lucidchart. However I certainly understand how that could be useful. If you'd like to see support for this in the future please fill out our feature request form to promote the idea to our development team. Apologies for any inconvenience and thanks for your request. 

As an alternative you may be able to edit the import code that Lucid provides in order to prevent these attributes from importing and being included in your tables. 

Finally while quite manual recreation of these shapes is possible using the ERD shape that includes only the "key" and "field" columns.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Hello Micah

Thanks for your reply! I tried your suggestion as follows:

1) I revised the provided SQL by only including these columns in the WHERE clause

SELECT 'sqlserver' dbmst.TABLE_CATALOGt.TABLE_SCHEMAt.TABLE_NAMEc.COLUMN_NAME

In other words I'm only querying for the data I want to include in the ERD

2) Save the results to a CSV file.

Unfortunately when I try to import that CSV I get the error below. Apparently the import engine is expecting all of the columns to be returned.

Hi Ping thanks for giving this a try and responding with such a helpful update. I'm sorry that this workaround didn't allow you to import data excluding the data type attribute. Promoting your idea to our development team via the feature request form remains the best way to see improvements to this experience. Thanks again for your request and apologies for the inconvenience!