Skip to main content
How can I use crows foot notation in Lucidchart?

how do we use crows foot notations in LucidChart?

Hi Faiza

Thanks for posting in the Community!

In Lucidchart you can create Entity Relationship diagrams (ERDs) based on crow's foot notation with customized text styling and relationships between fields. It is possible to generate your ERD either manually or automatically using our SQL import feature.

You can find all information about this feature here: Create an Entity Relationship Diagram in Lucidchart

If you're interested in deepening your knowledge of the ERD symbols and notation please give the following article a quick read: Entity-Relationship Diagram Symbols and Notation

Lastly I am linking below a few templates that are free to use:

ERD (crow's foot): this hockey ERD template can help you understand how entities relate to each other within a system using crow's foot design or debug relational databases and share ideas and collaborate with colleagues.

Database ER diagram (crow's foot): this database ER diagram template can help you illustrate how entities relate to each other within a system using crow's foot design or debug relational databases and easily share and collaborate with others.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Hello Coumba D.

I have imported an exported PostgreSQL ERD csv file but the auto-relationship crows feet is not working.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!  Joe

Hi @jhietter, thanks for your post! 

Could you please elaborate on what do you mean exactly by “auto-relationship Crow’s foot is not working”? Do you mean that the diagram is not appearing exactly as expected after import, or are you encountering another issue? 

It is worth noting that Lucidchart will interpret the data to make the diagram as logically as possible, but in some cases, particularly with complex datasets, you may notice overlapping lines, shapes, or text. In these cases, you can manually adjust objects on the canvas as needed.

Please let me know if you have further questions about this!

Hi @Zuzia S.

Basically, when related tables (FK, etc.) imported via an ERD CSV file are initially added to the Lucid document, the crow’s feet are NOT automatically generated/added.

But I found that AFTER I add the tables that I want to the Lucid document, and re-import the (same) ERD CSV file, the crow’s feet are then automatically generated/added.

Hope this makes sense. 

Thanks,
Joe

Hi @jhietter, thanks for clarifying!

Indeed, you first have to Import from the Entity Relationship shape library, and then Import your CSV file. For more details about these steps, I recommend going through our ERD: Import a database article.

I hope this helps! Cheers!