Skip to main content

Hello

I would like to see if there is a way (hotkey or otherwise) to disable object snapping on one object/text box so I can drag it exactly where I need to go.  I searched on the forum and have seen other posts about turning off Snap to Objects Snap to Grid and Snap to Guides but I don't want to do that for the rest of my page; just one text box isn't quite lining up properly.  Even with those settings disabled I can't quite dial in the text box where I need it.

Any suggestions?  If this isn't something you can do today please let me know where I can submit a feature/enhancement request.

Thanks!

Hi @chris r101 thanks for posting in the community! Unfortunately there isn't currently a way to disable snapping for on object. The best way to move an object more precisely will be to disable those options on the page when moving the specific shape after which you could enable those options again for your other shapes if needed.

However I can certainly see how the option to do this would be helpful in building intricate and detailed diagrams. Would you mind adding your idea to our feature request form? Ideas submitted to this form are passed on to the product development team for their consideration.

Thanks for your request and I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.

Hi @leianne c

Thanks for the response; I've added the feature request.  Even if I toggle off those options on the page the text box (generated from clicking on a line/arrow) still wants to snap.  Not sure if that's intended a bug or just something on my side.

Hi @chris r101 thank you for adding the feature request! Unfortunately it is expected for text boxes generated from a line to snap to the line. If you would like to place a label for a line in a very specific location in your diagram I would recommend using a standard text box for the label instead. This will allow you to move it around the canvas without the snapping. 

If you would like you can also select the line and text box right-click and group those objects together. However please note that if you group the text box and line together the line will no longer be automatically connected to the shapes it was originally connect to. 

I hope this helps! Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this :)

Thanks for the workaround Leianne I really appreciate it.  I've submitted another feature request to have the option to toggle this behavior either through a hotkey or a slider.

Have a great weekend!

Thank you for sharing that @chris r101! Those options would be a great addition to help our users create detailed diagrams. Please feel free to continue posting in the community if you have any questions or any topics you'd like to discuss - we love hearing from everyone! ✨