Solved

Help! Image Shadows don't show when exported to PDF

• 1 April 2024
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

When we finish with a mapping product, we export to PDF to print. However, any images that are setup with a Shadow lose that shadow in the export. Everything else in PDF looks fine.

Anyone have a fix?

icon

Best answer by Phillip W 5 April 2024, 15:00

View original

Comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey @Cardozodulce768 -- thanks for posting! I’m unable to reproduce the issue you are experiencing -- would you mind to post a screenshot of the original canvas with the shadow on an image as well as what the image looks like when you export as a PDF?

Thank you for your help and patience! 

Badge +1

Hey @Cardozodulce768 -- thanks for posting! I’m unable to reproduce the issue you are experiencing -- would you mind to post a screenshot of the original canvas with the shadow on an image as well as what the image looks like when you export as a PDF?

Thank you for your help and patience! 

Hi! Absolutely!

Screenshot with the Shadow, straight from Lucid

Screenshot of PDF export of the same (as above)

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey @CArndtInsite -- thanks for the reply! I see now, you are exporting ONLY the image. In this case, the shadow wouldn’t export as the shadow is on being cast onto the canvas. When exporting only the image you are taking away the canvas which would then take away the shadow effect. If you’d like to keep that, I would recommend moving the image to a new page on the canvas and export the entire page as this will export with the shadow. 

Hope this helps!

Badge +1

Hey @CArndtInsite -- thanks for the reply! I see now, you are exporting ONLY the image. In this case, the shadow wouldn’t export as the shadow is on being cast onto the canvas. When exporting only the image you are taking away the canvas which would then take away the shadow effect. If you’d like to keep that, I would recommend moving the image to a new page on the canvas and export the entire page as this will export with the shadow. 

Hope this helps!

Hi Philip,

Thank you for the response but I’m not following. The test I sent you was a test where I exported a crop to the image. Our content often doesn’t take up the entire page, and our content includes a lot more than just images (such as detailed process maps). 

In my test, I had a blank canvass, I put on a general image, added a shadow, then exported to PDF. You’re saying I should put the image to another tab and that would fix the problem?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey @CArndtInsite -- thanks for the reply and this is interesting! So, taking a look on my end, cropping the image does seems to cause a bit of an issue with the shadow, however, if I do custom crop or I don’t crop the document at all, the shadow does stay on the image. To clarify -- when you tested on a blank canvas, did you crop to content? 

Badge +1

Hey @CArndtInsite -- thanks for the reply and this is interesting! So, taking a look on my end, cropping the image does seems to cause a bit of an issue with the shadow, however, if I do custom crop or I don’t crop the document at all, the shadow does stay on the image. To clarify -- when you tested on a blank canvas, did you crop to content? 

I did not crop it, I just inserted the image. Most of the images we use are not cropped, but some are. It seems to cut out the shadow whether it is cropped or not.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey @CArndtInsite -- thank you for the reply! So, what I need to know is if you are cropping at all when exporting the document from Lucid? To clarify, that seems to be the only time I have any issues with the shadows of an image is when exporting from Lucid I click either crop to content or custom crop. If I simply export the entire document without cropping the page at all, the shadows seem to export with the image. 

Let me know if you are having a similar experience -- here are my examples to show what I’m seeing: 

Badge +1

Hey @CArndtInsite -- thank you for the reply! So, what I need to know is if you are cropping at all when exporting the document from Lucid? To clarify, that seems to be the only time I have any issues with the shadows of an image is when exporting from Lucid I click either crop to content or custom crop. If I simply export then entire document without cropping the page at all, the shadows seem to export with the image. 

Let me know if you are having a similar experience -- here are my examples to show what I’m seeing: 

Hello! My apologies for not fully understanding your inquiry, my fault completely. Thank you for your on-going help and attention!

We do “Crop to Content”, which is very necessary for printing reasons (we print our posters on site and it removes/reduces the need to cut (which in turn reduces errors).

**Edit**

I tested it and exported without cropping and it still removes the shadows. Also, it’s worth noting that the shadows did show when we exported to PDF on our content back in January. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey @CArndtInsite -- interesting! Would you care to send a temporary Support PIN for this document? This will allow me to take a closer look at the issue you’re experiencing. For more information on generating a Support PIN, check out this Help Center article.

Thank you for all the help and patience so far!