Solved

Group Objects to Employee

Badge +1

I am trying to group a text box object to an employee box in my org chart (see image below).  I created separate text boxes for the “start” and “end” dates of the sample employee and would like to group them to the employee box so that they follow it around when I rearrange the org chart. Is this possible?

icon

Best answer by Amelia W 7 May 2024, 19:31

View original

Comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi @KHchart 

Kindly give a try with the below and see if it works.

1. Click on the employee box your are targettiing
  2. Hold down the "Ctrl" key and click on each text box you want to associate with the employee
  3. Then create Group -> "Ctrl + G" or right-click anywhere on the selected objects and choose "Group" from the menu.

With this your text boxes and the employee box will be treated as a single unit, and you can link the start and end date text boxes to the corresponding employee in your org chart 

Hope this helps - Happy to help further!!
Thank you very much and have a great one!
Warm regards

Badge +1

Hi @Humas1985 

Thank you for writing back. Unfortunately, the Grouping option is grayed out when I try to do this. The issue appears to be that I’m unable to group anything with the “employee” box. All other text boxes and shapes can be easily grouped together, but nothing appears to be able to group with an employee.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Seems the standard grouping functionality didn't help in this case

Requesting to give a try of grouping directly with the employee box, add a container shape (like a rectangle) on top of the employee box.
If this also didn't help well, will take it to our super supporters to hop on.

Keep us posted here @KHchart 

Regards

Badge +1

Hi @Humas1985 

Yeah I see no possible way of grouping anything with the employee box. Have you ever successfully done this on your side? I’ve tried creating both text boxes and shapes, but nothing is able to group to an employee box. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @KHchart, thanks for posting in the Community! And thanks @Humas1985  for sharing these steps!

Org Chart shapes do not have the ability to be grouped with other shapes, as they act as a group with all other shapes in the chart. To add start/end dates to your Org Chart, I would recommend adding those fields to your shapes in the Org Chart Context panel to the right of the editor. Please let me know if you have any other questions!