Skip to main content

Hi Folks -

I've seen LucidChart used in the past to do space planning stuff and I'd like to try this.  I've seen the article online talking about how to select a floorplan template and adjust the scale et al but I'm still a bit stuck.

Can anyone recommend a video and/or are there any training documents for using LucidChart to do space planning?

As an example I need to build a 240' x 240' building and then place interior walls.  To be frank I'm not sure where to even start.  

Thank you

Hi David thanks for posting in the Community I'm happy to help! To start off I recommend taking a look at our Floor plan article from our Help Center. This article contains a lot of information that should be useful for starting a Floor plan in Lucidchart.

If you'd like some inspiration on how to use the floor plan tools to create your own plan I recommend browsing through our Template gallery and checking out some of the templates we have. For example basic house plan office plan event plan etc.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions when trying to create your own plan and we'd be more than happy to help!

Thank you for your reply.  I've seen that article and am looking for more.  As an example even if I just want to build a 240'x240' square - I'm not sure how to do so. 

I'd rather start from scratch than use a template but I'm not sure where to start.

Hi David thanks for following up I would love to help and share some advice on where to start! 

As a first step you will need to add the 'Floor Plan' shape library to your shape menu in the Lucidchart editor. To do this create a new Lucidchart document (or open an existing one where you'd like to add this floor plan to) and click the blue '+ Shapes' button found at the bottom of your Shape Menu.

This will open a window to select shape libraries please search for "Floor Plans" and check the checkbox next to "Floor Plans" to add all the shapes and finally click 'Use selected shapes' to confirm your selection. Once this step is complete you should see the floor plan shapes in the shape menu on the left of the editor.

You can use one of our pre-built square shapes to easily create a 240'x240' square. Once you've dragged the prebuilt square room shape onto the canvas you should be able to adjust the size of the walls by dragging the green square that appears. I've attached a GIF demonstrating this. 

After this you can add walls doors windows and furniture etc to the plan as desired. The wall and door shapes snap to other walls automatically making it easy to quickly add these features if required! Please see the following GIF for a quick demonstration of how these shapes work. 

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions and we'd happy to share some additional information :)

I am using floor plan shapes. I have dragged a room onto my canvas, but I cannot seem to select the whole room to stretch it to the right. It only grabs a wall. I assume I am doing something wrong? Can you advise? Thanks, John

Hi @jbohrman, thanks for following up in this thread! You will need to drag the green squares that appear on the walls to stretch it. Please see the GIF I’ve attached below. 

If this doesn’t address the issue you’re experiencing, please share a screenshot of what you are trying to do or leave a comment below!