Skip to main content

I have entered a large amount of descriptive information using the "Custom Data" feature for various entities in my Lucidchart model. I would like the ability to export that outside of Lucidchart and share either as a PDF or Excel or CSV. I am unable to get this data out. The only item that gets published is the diagram. This seems like a serious gap. Anyway around this? Will be very time consuming to manually cut/paste all this outside of the diagram one by one (as I have read in some forums).

From what I know "Custom Data" feature might not be directly supported within Lucidchart.

If this capability hasn't been introduced in the newer versions of Lucidchart here are some potential workarounds you could consider:

1. Contact Lucidchart Support: If exporting custom data is an essential feature for your workflow you might want to reach out to Lucidchart's customer support. They might have insights or potential solutions to address your needs.

2. Automated Scripting or API Integration: Depending on Lucidchart's API capabilities you might be able to write scripts that can interact with your Lucidchart account and extract the custom data. However this would require programming skills and knowledge of their API documentation if available.

3. Third-Party Tools or Services: There might be third-party tools or services that offer integrations with Lucidchart and provide extended export functionalities. You would need to research and evaluate such options.

4. Manual Export: If no automated solution is available you might have to resort to manual methods. While time-consuming it might be the only option to ensure you retain your data. Copy-pasting could be one way but it's understandably tedious for a large amount of data.

5. Reevaluate Workflow: Consider if there's a way to adjust your workflow to minimize the need for extensive custom data export. For instance could you keep some of the crucial information within the diagram itself or utilize external tools that do support data extraction?

6. Check for Updates: Since my information only goes up to September 2021 I recommend checking Lucidchart's official documentation blog posts or reaching out to their support team to see if they have introduced any new features or improvements regarding data export.

Remember that software features can change rapidly and what wasn't possible at one point might become feasible with updates. Always keep an eye out for official communications and updates from Lucidchart. Hope this helps

Hi @vivek s

Thanks for posting in the Community - and thanks @suleiry m for your input! 

You can export shape data to a CSV file by following the directions in this Help Center article. Will you test this out and let us know if this export contains the information you're needing? If not let us know and we'd be happy to assist you further.

Addie - Yes that worked. Thank you so much for your help. I dont know how I missed the option in the export menu bar!

Hi @vivek s no problem! Happy to help - so please let us know if you have any other questions! 

Hi! I’m Micah from Lucid’s community team. 👋 I thought you, and any others who might come across this topic in the future, might be interested in Lucid’s Data Trusted User Group. This group is made up of knowledgeable users who regularly analyze and visualize data in their work. As part of this group, you’ll have the opportunity to connect directly with Lucid’s product team, gain early access to beta features, and share insights about your needs, shaping the future of Lucid’s data solutions 🎉 You can learn more and request to join here. Thanks!