Skip to main content

Hi

I would like to provide names to shapes and groups (perhaps using custom data) and would like these data to be exported as SVG element IDs. Can someone let me know if this is possible and if so how?

If not is there a workaround where a given shape/group is guaranteed to have the same SVG element ID even if other shapes/groups are added removed or modified?

Thanks!

Hi Rajesh thanks for reaching out! 

Any text associated with a shape that is exported as SVG will not be editable in Lucidchart and custom data will not be part of the SVG export. However if you plan on using these SVGs only in Lucidchart you can simply create a custom shape library that contains the desired shapes and shape data. These shapes will retain the custom data for any document you add the shape library to. You can learn more about how to create custom shape libraries in this help center article. Another workaround which will retain custom data is exporting your shapes as a Visio file (.vsdx).

If you would like to see this feature added to the SVG export would you mind adding your idea to our feature request form? Ideas submitted to this form are passed on to the product development team for their consideration.

Yes I agree with Rajesh: the files exported files as SVG should keep as much as possible a relation with the structure and naming conventions used when building a lucidchart. As it is now it does not matter how we name the layers in lucidchart all those names of layers (and I suspect the layers themselves) will just disappear in the exported file (and instead some strange and unnamed layers will appear that seems that bear no relation with the layers created by the user).