Skip to main content
Question

Export/Impact Process Map from Data/CSV

• 24 June 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi,

Tried the Process Maps CSV data export/import functionality.

using the sample file provided by LucidChart

1. Export sample LucidChart Process Map CSV file (which is a sales process)
2. File > Import > Data > Process Diagram > Import your data, pointing to the sample CSV File previously downloaded

It correctly generated the swimlane diagram based on the sample CSV shape data file : 

What would be very useful though,  is to be able to continue using LucidChart to edit this diagram, and subsequently re-exporting it as a CSV file, which can subsequently be stored in a metadata document or relational database, and in the future re-imported into LucidChart.

Thus performing an whole end to end loop in terms of export/import mechanism, whilst retaining the editing ability in LucidChart.

Problem

Probably because this is an experimental feature, but when i try and export the above imported diagram, as a CSV data file, and then try and re-importing it, this breaks and does not work.

there are a couple of issue with the export routine, which means the CSV file produced, can no longer be re-imported.

I have highlighted those issues in the CSV file produced : 

Issue 1: the name of the swim lane container is called Swim lane (lower case L) instead of Swim Lane (upper case L)
Issue 2 : the shape library is called Flowchart Shapes/Containers instead of Flowchart Shapes
Issue 3: the swimlane row headings (Customer, Sales, Billing), starts in Text Area 2 column, instead of Text Area 1 column

When i fix these 3 things manually in the CSV file produced by the export facility, and re-import the CSV file post modification, the diagram displays correctly again.

If i do not perform these post-export transformation activities, the diagram will not display properly :

I understand this is a very experimental area of the software, but getting the export routine, to produce CSV files which are compatible with the import routine (of the same software), would be very beneficial for various automation use cases.

Hopefully this does not require too drastic architectural and design changes to make it happen.

Whilst i am fully aware that 100% of all the diagram properties may NOT survive the export/re-import exercise, hopefully at least - core components should survive - as well as their relationships / their container parenthood / and their position on the design canvass.

@rascasse83 Thanks for posting in the community, I apologize for the trouble you encountered. We appreciate the detailed feedback, I have passed this on to our Product team who is continuously working to improve this feature. Please let me know if you have any further questions!