Skip to main content
Solved

ERD Fails to import with relationships showing

• 25 March 2024
  • 5 replies

I am unable to find out how to import a Database into an ERD.  It says in this help "You can then drag the database tables from the shape menu onto the canvas. If you have properly set up the primary and foreign keys, when you drag related tables onto the canvas, Lucidchart draws relationship lines automatically." 

This it does NOT do.  I have the ERD set up and showing correctly in both MySQL Workbench, and in DBeaver and it shows the relationships correctly.  When I follow the instructions it does everything except add the relationship links.  The CSV file does include the relationships they are just not working in Lucid. 
<SNIP>

</SNIP>

The entities are all correctly listed in the ERD Import pane

Also is there an easy way to add all tables - adding one at a time for 199 tables is tedious and liable to errors as scrolling is terrible.

Comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @Bigwozza

Thank you for posting in the Lucid Community! The lines in your Entity Relationship Diagram should automatically be drawn between foreign keys and primary keys. Can you confirm that the entities you dragged out have those relationships indicated within your data file?

In case it is helpful, I've also attached an example output file from a PostGreSQL import for reference, that is the format our importer will need your file to be in.

If the issue persists, please send the following information:

• The name of the DBMS the data file was exported from
  • Can you please send a temporary Support PIN for this document? This will allow me to take a closer look at the issue you’re experiencing. For more information on generating a Support PIN, check out this Help Center article.
Badge +1

Hi knield,

Thanks for feedback/help.  In answer to your questions, I can reply “yes” they are within the data file ( I tried to include that in the screenshot).

It seems that may be an issue with how you place the tables on the canvas.  I was adding all the tables in one hit and no relationships were drawn ( when I say one hit, I mean, add a table, add another table, the next table etc).

However when I added a primary table ( one which has multiple FKs) and then added the table for the FK no relationship was drawn.  So I then manually added that relationship.  After which as I added new tables, relating to the FKs the relationships are all added correctly

Looking at the original import I can see the tables but no FKs so for some reason it didn’t pick them up.  I have used the SAME data.csv this time and it worked.

So right now I  have no issue - but it is weird.

Thanks again

Warwick

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @Bigwozza

Thank you for the response! I’m glad you aren't experiencing this issue anymore! Please reply in the thread if you run into any other issues.😊

Badge +1

I am very new to this but...I got my .csv file to import into LucidChart. I can see all of the tables. As the person above did, I clicked on the tables one at a time and no relationships were drawn. Now I don’t know what to do.

I looked at the .csv file and the PKs and FKs are indicated for each table in the file. How do I create the ERD and have the relationships show up?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

However when I added a primary table ( one which has multiple FKs) and then added the table for the FK no relationship was drawn.  So I then manually added that relationship.  After which as I added new tables, relating to the FKs the relationships are all added correctly

Hi @JellyBean, Thank you for the reply! Did you add a primary table like @Bigwozza did? They mentioned that they added tables, but no relationships were drawn til they were added this table. Can you confirm that the entities you dragged out have those relationships indicated within your data file?

I also added example output file from a PostGreSQL import for reference, that is the format our importer will need your file to be in.

For more information about ERD’s and video tutorials, check out this Help Center article.