Skip to main content

Hi I am creating the most simple of UML Sequence Diagrams with the markup created in vi/notepad. I include it below:

participant p1 as "participant 1"
participant p2 as "participant 2"
activate p2
p1->p2
p2-->p1
deactivate p2

The markup creates the diagram but the spacing in the activation appears screwy. See attached pic generated from this markup but annotated too. Can this autogen sequence diagram be corrected with additional markup and if so how?

Regards

Mike

Hi Michael 

Thanks for posting in the Lucidchart Community! Unfortunately when auto-generating a sequence diagram it is not possible to change the spacing between the lines and the bottom/top of the activation shape using additional markup. As a workaround you can manually adjust those lines by ungrouping your diagram. To do that select your diagram > right click > select "Ungroup" from the drop-down. 

LtrMH6vclg9Jew9FhPnyuA.png

Ungrouping your auto-generated UML diagram will allow you to move elements around as well as style them as if they were on a regular diagram. However keep in mind that once you ungroup your sequence diagram you won't be able to edit the makeup again. So make sure to only ungroup the objects and adjust your lines/shapes after you have completely finished building your diagram and no longer need to make changes to the markup. 

TyFFL8doLP-lCQfysH58fg.png

To learn more about our sequence markup tool functionality I would recommend reading through our UML Sequence Markup article from the Lucidchart Help Center.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any additional questions.